?s re Character Light Radius in Diablo
This has happened more than once in Ironman games I've been in, and I'm wondering what the explanation is. It seems to happen most often in Caves and Catacombs.

Most recently it was the Caves.

We sent the warrior down first (best AC, best weapon) alone. He waits 15 seconds. No ambush/attack develops. He moves one tile to the East and waits 15 seconds again. Same results. He calls for the Rogue.

The Rogue enters the Caves, ending up at the bottom of the stairs in the tile where the Warrior WAS over 30 seconds ago. Immediately -- without the Rogue moving or committing any other action -- she is taking incoming fire from at least 3 Storm Demons and 2 Spitting Terrors and has to bail.

What's this? It would seem that the Rogue has a higher natural Light Radius than the Warrior. Yet when I looked in Jarulf's Guide, it lists no such difference. If it ain't in JG's, then it probably ain't so, Magee. But then again, JG's is pretty mute on the subject of light radius for players. So now I'm left wondering. . . .

#1. Just what ARE the dimensions of a character's light radius? I know that opponents can see -- and shoot -- at me before I can see them. So just how many tiles is the light radius of each character? Does it extent equally in all directions? Or are the diagonals somewhat "shorter" or somewhat "longer" depending upon what math was done in the programming?

#2. Is the Rogue's natural Light Radius greater than that of the Warrior? What about the Mage and his, where does it fit in to all this? Does each character have a different light radius, or are all the character's light radii the same? How is it that the Rogue can seem to activate foes standing upon the same tile where the Warrior was -- and did not activate foes?

#3. Was there a section in JG's that dealt with light radius that I simply missed? I saw 3.4 +% Light Radius and 5.5.2 Activating Monsters. Was there another section also?

Just curious.

Attika

Messages In This Thread
?s re Character Light Radius in Diablo - by Attika - 05-22-2003, 05:00 AM
?s re Character Light Radius in Diablo - by dfn - 05-24-2003, 12:37 AM