Wishful Thinking
Often times while playing The Dark (the Hellfire MOD), I'm overcome with thoughts of modifications for the game I'd love, but which I'm sure are probably impossible. This "wishful thinking" has inspired me to create a 'dream' list, if you will, of the future enhancements I'd love to make to this fantastic game. They are listed below in order of importance:

1.) New graphics for the Barbarian and Bard, specifically showing duel-weapon usage. This would include armor and weapons and all angles. Perhaps include more armor/weapon graphics for all classes instead of the dictated three.

Why? I feel this would not only further define your character in terms of class, but would give you a personalized appearance that would not only separate you from other players, but would be fun to cater to.

2.) Upgrade the pixel resolution to LoD standards. I've seen games, such as Ever Quest, Doom 1 and 2, Hero Quest, Diablo 2 to LoD upgrade not only the resolution, but have the video card make the lines disappear and the graphics smoother.

Why? I guess this isn’t exactly that important as the graphics are rather nice now, but in my fantasy it would be nice to see upgraded graphics. Nothing major, just a slight increase.

3.) Instead of displaying the function key text messages such as "I need help," it would be nice hear voices based on proximity, like Diablo 2 does. This would give you a true sense of dungeon depth and your relation to your party members.

Why? As I stated in my list, I feel function key voice proximities would enhance that 'dungeon feeling' for several reasons: because you would feel closer/further to companions, would be able to find each-other based on sound, and would be more realistic then seeing text messages appear, which sometimes are not read in the heat of battle!

4.) An item selling/buying interface which displays the items Griswold is selling in a screen like your inventory, that way you can hover your mouse over the item and see its statistics and the type of weapon it is. Keep the "repair" and "repair all" functions of Diablo 2.

Why? Again, as with #2 on my list, this is not an imperative function, but useful. I feel being able to look at all the items Griswold is selling would save you a little bit of time, not to mention sanity. Repair All or even just a repair button showing your inventory screen would save you the hassle of accidentally repairing items in your inventory you do not want to repair. It would also save you a tremendous amount of time! On that note, I'm sure there are those of you asking, "why not have Cain identify ALL items like he does in Diablo 2?" Well, that is not that important to me, and this is my "wishful thinking."

5.) Increase the level limit to 75 or 100 and add in two levels to each area, thus Catacombs would be 6 levels deep instead of 4, Caves 6 instead of 4, etc. Monster difficulty and treasure levels would increase proportionally to the added levels.

Why? While this may seem a bit monotonous for the players, with #6 on my list, I feel it will be justified because of the challenge of the added quests. The repetition will not only be negated, but the fun factor will increase dramatically. Another reason for this is that while playing The Dark, I'm already level 30 with two of my characters in Normal difficulty. The experience is plentiful and it's still challenging with the items I have. When I do finally go to Nightmare, I'll be level 50 way before I get to hell.

6.) New multi-player quests (added graphics and sounds for the quests if need be). I'd like to see at least 12 new quests, but any amount would be acceptable. Right now, there are only 5: The Butcher, King Leoric, Diablo, The Hive, and The Other Diablo.

Why? With new quests involved in the game, I feel the challenge and excitement of the game would be increased even more so than it is now because of these factors: new areas to explore, new quest rewards, and new challenges.

Thank you for taking the time to examine my "wishful thinking" list. Feel free to add your 'wishes' for Diablo 1 or even to respond to my comments.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
Wishful Thinking - by Taem - 06-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Hammerskjold - 06-05-2003, 04:41 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Draconis - 06-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Puma - 06-05-2003, 07:29 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Nystul - 06-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Nystul - 06-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Attika - 06-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Wishful Thinking - by Hammerskjold - 06-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Wishful Thinking - by LemmingofGlory - 06-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Wishful Thinking - by Taem - 06-06-2003, 02:27 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Hammerskjold - 06-06-2003, 03:38 AM