My master's thesis on online communication
[wcip]Angel,May 5 2006, Wrote::lol: I assume you read your case study. (If you haven't yet, please do, and you'll appreciate the irony of that last part of your post :P)
[right][snapback]109081[/snapback][/right]
I do indeed appreciate it. :lol: I just finished reading your paper.

I cackled with glee when I saw one of my wiseacre ramblings on golf deconstructed to serve the cause of erudition. From the ridiculous, my post, to the sublime, your scholarship. :lol:

The "I are a silly person" construction is used with humorous intent, in verbal joke telling, to intentionally lampoon incorrect usage by using it. It lies in the "shared understanding" category of irony, I think.

I am in awe of your facility with the English language, given your L2 status.

*applauds with great vigor*

FWIW 1. Keyboard.

Type on your keyboard 3457. (Use the keys above the QWERTY.) With a shift key, it yields, #$%& -- the profanity symbolization you mentioned. The auto filter feature Rinnhart noted is a better answer than your (perhaps unintentionally) amusing discussion of comparing the letters <s> <h> <i> <t> with # $ % &. The use of special characters to protray "letters in bad words" was very commonly used in cartoons and comics when I was growing up. There was not always a one to one correspondence between any guessed profanity and the number of symbols used. The idea was to portray "bad word here." The asterisk and carat were, for some reason, not generally used. I think that is due to their being something like superscript.

FWIW 2. Aviatorspeak

The analyzed email was liberally seasoned with the cant used by two military aviators who worked together for three years. While the jargon itself represents another register, as I understand the term, one could not expect you to be familiar with it.

My wife hardly understood that email when I showed it to her.

Well done, [wcip]Angel. I hope your review board likes the work you presented.

Occhi

PS: The frying pan stayed in its sheath. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
My master's thesis on online communication - by Guest - 05-05-2006, 10:09 PM
My master's thesis on online communication - by Occhidiangela - 05-05-2006, 10:30 PM