Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities
jahcs,Nov 16 2005, 11:32 AM Wrote:Oh, I'm well aware of many of the embeded field reporters in Iraq.  Unfortunately most of them file reports that are then filtered down to a sound byte or two made for ratings, not to tell a story, by the afforementioned press pool monkeys.  It takes a lot of courage to be a combat cameraman (or woman).
[right][snapback]95065[/snapback][/right]

For jahcs and Chaeropon:

Never forget that the embedded reporter and the war correspondent is a human being. He has an agenda, which he may not consciously filter into his work, or he may. His editor also has an agenda, which colors his editing process. It also colors what is NOT reported as well as how what is reported is packaged.

This holds true for those whose agenda is pro, or con, or somewhere in between.

If you haven't read Chris Hedges' book "War is a Force That Ggives us Meaning" I recommend highly. It is a very insightful look into war, war corespondents, and also the use of symbols in covering war, not to mention use of symbols to advocate war for one reason or another.

I don't agree with all of his conclusions, but I find his book, which is short, yay, to be very insightful. Good read.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities - by Occhidiangela - 11-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities - by Guest - 11-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities - by Guest - 11-19-2005, 07:37 PM