Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities
eppie,Nov 16 2005, 09:02 AM Wrote:But anyway, your statement "I know for a fact that Willy Pete is not a bomb munition. Once again, the media get it wrong." was a bit premature. And the one" "The risk to civilians of unguided bombs is too great. " was indeed right but nobody cared about it at that time.

[right][snapback]95047[/snapback][/right]

eppie, you are again mistaken.

WP is not a bomb munition. A bomb is what an aircraft drops from its bomb racks, onto things on the ground. When a bomb hits, an explosion occurs, or doesn't if the bomb is a dud. The rocket link I sent to you described a rocket munition. A rocket is a propelled explosive, typically guided by fins. (Some rockets have exotic guidance packages and are more correctly called missiles, as in guided missiles.)

An artillery shell is not a bomb. It is an explosive projectile that is propelled like a rilfe's bullet: one charge, off it goes. (The RAP round is an exotic exception.) It generally has no fins, and no exotic guidance package. (Copperhead is an exception.)

The article says artillery shells with WP were used for spotting, etcetera, in Fallujah. I believe it. I am familiar with Naval Gunfire Spotting methods. I was trained to spot fall of shot from Naval Vessels using their guns. ( You could call them Naval Artillery, or a floating battery. Before firing for effect, it was a common procedure to fire a spotting round or two with WP, back in the early 80's when I was practicing stuff like that.

I actually know something about weapons and bombs. Many journalists and laymen don't bother to learn. It's OK for the layman, but for the journalist such imprecision is unprofessional.

WP is should not be used carelessly, which I believe is the message the Italian journalist is trying to send with his story. He went rooting around, as I see it, looking for a story that could shine an unfavorable light on American operations in Iraq. He found what he thinks is one, or he would not have written the article.

Whether or not WP was used carelessly in Fallujah is not something I could judge without knowing a great deal more than I do right now, so once again, I have reached the limit of my knowledge.

On an emotional level, I confess that I sincerely hope Zarqawi's goons choked on plenty of WP, hot lead, shrapnel, etcetera, on their way to meet Allah. :angry:

You, on the other hand, I hope you never have to deal with WP on the receiving end. Beer and pizza for you, and good Edam cheese. :)

Cheers.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities - by Occhidiangela - 11-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities - by Guest - 11-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities - by Guest - 11-19-2005, 07:37 PM