Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities
eppie,Nov 11 2005, 01:57 AM Wrote:Yes, this week the RAI (Italian television) came with some footage in which they claim that phosphorus bombs were used in Fallujah.
I think there happened things that we will never know of, just like in any war any time.
[right][snapback]94553[/snapback][/right]

I know for a fact that Willy Pete is not a bomb munition. Once again, the media get it wrong.

Some helicopters carry rocket pods carrying with 2.75" rockets. (About 6cm in diameter, about 2 meters long, unguided.) I may be able to find out if they are still used as markers.

EDIT: Info on those rockets here. http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/a...in-rockets.html

The purpose of the "smoke" is to mark, either for artillery fire, strafing, or bombing from a plane carrying bombs. The RoE (when I was over there) expressly forbade WP's use as an Anti Personnel munition. (Due to the LOAC.) However, if the wind blows, I imagine WP could get on someone inadvertantly. Given how strict the RoE is in general, I'd be surprised to find helicopters loading "smoke" rounds. Most of the combat action is in urban environments (where location via grid or simple road map is an easy talk on for Close Air Support), most engagements require visual identification of enemy (so, it is already marked by someone'e eye or other mechanical sensor) and the "smoke" round is better used in open country, particularly in support of artillery fire or bomb runs of unguided bombs.

The US uses guided bombs in Iraq. The risk to civilians of unguided bombs is too great.

As a point of international convention: WP is not forbidden by LOAC as a marker or "smoke," or it wouldn't be in the inventory.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities - by Occhidiangela - 11-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities - by Guest - 11-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Shocking Tally of Iraq Civilian Causalities - by Guest - 11-19-2005, 07:37 PM