True Confessions of a Frost Mage
Alram,Oct 25 2005, 06:50 PM Wrote:Part of the reason we wiped was because of a communication problem between my mage and Vor Lord's priest.  At one point while we were fighting Princess, she headed right at my mage, and I had to blink away in order to keep from getting hurt.  Vor Lord yelled at me that I was now out of range of his healing spells.  Therefore when it was safe to do so I ran back to my original position.  However, unbeknownst to me, Vor Lord simultaneously ran toward my new position, so that I effectively remained out of range of his healing.  Being completely out of practice with the mage I neglected to cast a barrier when Princess attacked me again a bit later on.  The mage died and that led to a chain reaction in which the whole party wiped.  I felt somewhat responsible, and that has inhibited me from playing the mage again a party.   

bonemage and I were quite upset over this wipe, and blamed ourselves entirely. We didn't discuss any strategy before the fight, and did not position the tank correctly (back against the wall). As the healer, I did not position myself correctly or move correctly. Not once did it cross my mind that your mage play was the cause for the wipe. I do not think it was at all your fault and I apologize that you thought so and have been avoiding the mage since then.

Quote:A couple of days ago in a thread on the Meetings Stone forum I said that I would not be playing Magead anymore in the foreseeable future.  In retrospect I think that would be a mistake.  I believe the adjustments in play style I will have to make in the Lurker parties will help keep my experience interesting and hopefully I will be able to make a good contribution to the party dynamics and success.
[right][snapback]93160[/snapback][/right]

Please play whatever character you wish -- at the time I suggested it might make things a bit easier to bring Magead (by the way, thanks for telling us how to pronounce that ;) ) I had no idea you weren't liking the mage, or why. I understand that you also dropped your warrior for a similar reason, but I thought you were doing an excellent tanking job and didn't understand that either.

With all this said, I must make a confession as well -- what sounds like a heated discussion (for example yelling about you being out of range) probably isn't what it seems. I apologize for being excitable, but it is all in the interest of trying to do things right. bonemage and I post-analyze all of our wipes and try to identify the cause so that if we see a trend or a tactic that needs changing, it can be fixed. Most often lately if we can identify a person who made a wiping mistake, it has been me. I don't think you start learning much about being a healer until Uldaman, which is the first instance with LoS problems and knockdown effects to worry about. I'm still making adjustments and will continue to make mistakes. I'll continue to cause wipes. So will others -- it's how the game works. I might point out whose mistake it was (especially if it's mine, like vs. Gor'Shak on Friday), but I never want to give the impression that someone has "failed" the group when they make a mistake, or make anyone uncomfortable playing a certain character.

And you didn't even make any mistakes from my point of view -- but to the extent that you thought you did, know that even IF you did, I would never want this to affect what character or role you want to play. I apologize that it has.

And if that made any sense, my hat is off to you for following such a convoluted speech :rolleyes:

I have so enjoyed playing with all the Lurkers and I would take any of you, playing any class, any time, over anybody. In particular, I am very grateful to Alram for taking in our little group of Doomhammer refugees (with a couple of excitable blowhards to boot) and teaching us a lot about the game we didn't know.

/salutes Alram

Messages In This Thread
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by Alram - 10-26-2005, 01:50 AM
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by vor_lord - 10-26-2005, 02:35 AM
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by Treesh - 10-26-2005, 04:13 AM
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by Kevin - 10-26-2005, 04:13 AM
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by khgerg - 10-26-2005, 04:04 PM
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by kandrathe - 10-26-2005, 04:47 PM
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by vor_lord - 10-26-2005, 05:11 PM
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by VoiceMan - 10-26-2005, 05:48 PM
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by Alram - 10-26-2005, 05:49 PM
True Confessions of a Frost Mage - by swirly - 10-26-2005, 06:23 PM