New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes
Any1,Sep 12 2005, 08:42 PM Wrote:I'm sure upon rebuilding the city they will "prune" some of the "undesirable" neighborhoods.  They'll condemn the houses and building as contaminated and unsafe. After tearing them down, they'll rebuild new housing/shops/offices in their place and price the former occupants completely out.  Can anyone say "Urban Renewal"?!
[right][snapback]88937[/snapback][/right]

Who is "they?"

There are a number of very prominent black politicians and public personages (Jesse Jackson, for instance) who are agitating massively. There is small likelihood that those folk will back down from their efforts to prevent Katrina from being the catalyst for "ethnic cleansing" in New Orleans.

Like them or not, believe their line of BS or not, they will keep this issue in the public eye for as long as they can. Which -- as much as I find Jesse Jackson a despicable, lying, jerk -- is a good thing. Regardless of motive, I am not comfortable with the idea of "I'm gonna wash that black right out of my city" as public policy, nor do I find any warmth in my heart for predatory financers and developers who will doubtless try to exploit this "business opportunity."

Occhi

PS: James Earl Ray was a lousy shot. He hit the wrong guy.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes - by Guest - 09-12-2005, 04:58 PM
New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes - by Guest - 09-12-2005, 05:25 PM
New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes - by Guest - 09-12-2005, 05:41 PM
New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes - by Guest - 09-13-2005, 04:53 AM
New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes - by Occhidiangela - 09-13-2005, 01:59 PM
New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes - by Guest - 09-13-2005, 04:23 PM
New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes - by Guest - 09-13-2005, 04:41 PM
New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes - by Guest - 09-13-2005, 04:45 PM
New Orleans Arising Phoenixlike from Ashes - by Guest - 09-13-2005, 05:14 PM