Five Hundred Billion
whyBish,Sep 12 2005, 12:56 AM Wrote:Well, that's not how a limited liability company works.

As to risk and risk mitigation, insurance, like banking works on the principal that not everyone will withdraw simultaneously.  Insurance companies 'package up' their risks and trade them with other companies to diversify their risk, just like banks do with mortgages.

However, prudential regulation requires that (for banks over here at least) a bank must maintain a minimum of 6% tier one capital and have at least 12% tier 1 and two capital.  Tier 1 capital is essentially shareholder funds, and tier two capital is essentially long term debt financing that can almost be treated like equity.  You will notice here how the company only has 12% coverage to be considered prudential... and so can lend eight times as much as it has coverage for.

So what happens when you get a 100% event?  The company goes bankrupt, the shareholders lose all value, any lenders to the invesetment company loses all money, any purchasers of 'risk packages' is fully liable to pay them, and any mom & pop investors that were sticking in funds to the company to get a better return than the bank lose their entire deposit.

Such is capitalism.

I'll try finding out the U.S. capital adequacy requirements for banks and insurance companies, seem to remember a 20:1 ratio (i.e. 5% coverage), but probably wrong...

--Edit
U.S. requirements for Bank tier 1 capital is 3-4%
[right][snapback]88846[/snapback][/right]

Insurance is shared RISK, it is not a guarantee of anything. I understand how corporation and limited liability work, thanks. I'd rather see my suggestion undertaken as a remedy than some "government bail out" crap like the idiocy we got bilked into by GHW Bush on the Savings and Loan bailout. ( I am still steamed about that, given the number of white collar board members, managers, etc who got off scott free and kept their limos . . .

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Five Hundred Billion - by Doc - 09-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Five Hundred Billion - by Occhidiangela - 09-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Five Hundred Billion - by Doc - 09-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Five Hundred Billion - by Guest - 09-12-2005, 02:26 AM
Five Hundred Billion - by whyBish - 09-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Five Hundred Billion - by Occhidiangela - 09-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Five Hundred Billion - by whyBish - 09-14-2005, 06:27 AM