Complete lack of any AI for the monsters
fractaled,Aug 29 2005, 05:41 PM Wrote:random dungeons probably would have kept me around for more of the loot grind... i just couldn't stand it with the EXACT same dungeons over and over... random spawn locations, or different sets of enemies would also have helped a lot...

i'd guess that random 3d dungeons are harder to layout than random 2d dungeons... also the dungeons that are in the game do show a good deal of planning went into them, and maybe they weren't willing to water that down...
[right][snapback]87566[/snapback][/right]

You've hit on the major reasons why there isn't more randomness to the encounters. Random spawns would be the easiest of them to implement, but you run into problems. What happens if groups spawn too close together? If you get a "bad roll" on a random dugueon, it's not as simple to reset, or move past it as it is in Diablo. Take a look at problems they had in past with Blackwing Lair. It used to be that the dragonkin spawns in the Razorgore fight were somewhat random. If your guild got a "bad roll" on the amount, it could be seriously disasterous. As a result of player outcry, this was changed.

Creating random terrain and pathways, with the level of polish that we're used to from this game would be near impossible. In Diablo, the sprite-based tile system made it very simple to create random encounters. But creating full on, 3D, multi leveled, dynamicly lit dungeons is not likely to ever happen. Or if it did, we'd only all complain that it looked horrible.
Turambar - Fury Warrior - Twisting Nether
NenyaAdamant - Shadow Priest - Proudmoore
Lum - Shadow Priest - Stormrage

TheLuminaire.net

Messages In This Thread
Complete lack of any AI for the monsters - by TheLuminaire - 08-30-2005, 03:16 AM
Complete lack of any AI for the monsters - by savaughn - 09-01-2005, 09:33 PM