My visit to the hospital! *very long*
Hope you are feeling better. :D

I've been hospitalized for extended stays 4 times. The first I can hardly remember, but I almost died of influenza when I was 5. The next three times were when I was 15 or 16, were within a year of each other, and related to accidents with training horses.

#1 -- I had received a new saddle as a present for my birthday, and it had a "bucking strap" besides having a cinch. When I was done riding that day, I forgot to undo the bucking strap when I tried to pull off the saddle. It snagged on his belly hairs near his hoohoo and needless to say the horse promptly turned and delivered both rear feet to my sternum. I was unable to breathe for about 5 minutes, and later at the hospital found out I had four broken ribs. I remember I was most upset as the new saddle got pretty trashed too...

#2 -- I was just out in my training ring with a different horse, one that was pretty unpredictable. I remembered a neighbor leaving the house, and getting in his car. But, then next thing I remembered was waking up in a hospital bed still smelling of horse dung. Evidently the horse bolted when the neighber started his car, I was kicked in the head whilst falling into a large pile of manure. The hospital didn't want to move me until I regained conciousness so they had to cut me out of most of my stinky clothes. Sheesh, I had the worst headache...

#3 -- I was over at a neighbors getting lessons in Dressage. I had loaded my horse into our trailer, ready to take him back home. The horse had grabbed something from the tack area, so I had to go into the trailer to get it from him. These are tame horses so you climb all over/under them all the time. Well, this time I was in the trailer, and the horse moved somehow and tripped me. I fell onto my back, right under him. He freaked out, and started stomping, and champing in the trailer, until someone heard my sister screaming and let the horse out of the trailer. Luckily I was still wearing my hard hat (same kind jockeys wear), shin guards, and boots. The helmet had two or three 1 inch deep gashes in it. I had a broken femur on one leg, and a broken tibia on the other. But, considering what I had been through it could have been much worse. After they pulled me out, I remember my sister looking at me and she asked "Are you alright?", then she saw my leg bent wrong and quickly added, "Oh, no, your not!!"
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by Yrrek - 05-01-2003, 01:56 AM
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by LavCat - 05-01-2003, 05:49 AM
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by Feryar - 05-01-2003, 07:22 AM
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by Yrrek - 05-01-2003, 07:01 PM
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by Yrrek - 05-01-2003, 07:05 PM
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by Yrrek - 05-01-2003, 07:07 PM
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by Roland - 05-01-2003, 11:03 PM
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by Baylan - 05-01-2003, 11:11 PM
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by kandrathe - 05-02-2003, 07:27 PM
My visit to the hospital! *very long* - by Yrrek - 05-03-2003, 03:41 PM