Divine Shield
First off, I'm playing a dwarf paladin on a PvP server.

I've followed the discussion in the CTF thread and thought it would be good to divert the discussion about the paladin's supposedly greatest asset to a place where people either can ignore it or contribute to.

I can only speak of my own experience of course, and I'm playing a protection paladin on a PvP server. I know fully well that the build I have (13/38/10) is not very good for PvP. I made it to tank in instances for my guild mates, which somehow works. With a little support from my friends ("No I don't use scattershot when you're tanking ;)")

That being said I've had my share of PvP encounters, many in the form of getting attacked while doing quests. But recently also many where both of us got into the fight with eyes open. Actually I loathe to use Divine Shield. In many cases it only delays the inevitable (my death, or a draw). I know that I'm not the best paladin player on my server, but I believe that I have some viable tactics and tricks under my belt. Can't speak much of Battlegrounds though.

When I'm activating Divine Shield I'm basically signalling: "Timeout! I need healing, do whatever you want in the meantime..." I've seen rogues calmly sitting down eating, warriors using bandages, or gaining distance for a charge. As far as I know shamans can use Purge (Rank 2?) to remove the shield, but did not experience that on myself. Running away while shielded is of course ridiculous. Especially against warriors. Druids and shamans can prevent me from escaping quite effectively, and there is always the risk of running into mobs and taking a 10% durability loss.

Just yesterday I was training my unarmed skill on champions in the Eastern Plaguelands when I got attacked by an Orc warrior. I didn't bother to switch in my hammer and proceeded to pound only with fists (maybe I get that last skill point while doing this? who knows...) Anyway, he was taking his sweet time to get me down, and I did the usual thing, DS for a heal, Repentance for a breather and heal, Lay of hands when both mana & health were down. About halfway into the fight an Undead warrior walked up and watched the fight. He didn't join, but they were clearly having a discussion over the /say channel while the fight was going. I don't know what they were talking about, but no way in hell was I going to shield myself and run.

So what can I do? I can use laying of hands, repentance, hammer of justice, several blessings. But eventually I'll be out of options and going down. There were only two cases where the opponent just gave up out of frustration and ran away. Not much I can do to prevent that either. I know how frustratingly hard it can be to kill a paladin. Just go to Hearthglen and take on two at a time and you will see what I mean. But eventually we're going down like everyone else.

Divine Shield is useful no doubt, but I believe paladins in general have to pay a high price in other departments for it. I've got the feeling that all these paladins that go the retribution route (Consecration/Blessing of Kings/Seal of Command) are doing this out of desperation to get a good damage output. I haven't tried a Holy build yet, but I think that paladins suck as healers. Certainly I do. If the priest/druid in my party goes down (because of my negligence) than it's basically end of story. My flash of light is too weak, and my holy light is too mana costly and too slow.

But still I love my little dwarf pally. It's probably like driving a Volkswagen beetle (the old ones). You know about its weaknesses and strengths but you won't swap it for a better car, ever.

-Arnulf
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!

Messages In This Thread
Divine Shield - by Arnulf - 06-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Divine Shield - by Brista - 06-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Divine Shield - by oldmandennis - 06-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Divine Shield - by Concillian - 06-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Divine Shield - by MongoJerry - 06-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Divine Shield - by Warlock - 06-29-2005, 03:16 AM
Divine Shield - by Arnulf - 06-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Divine Shield - by Tal - 06-29-2005, 01:08 PM