PvE vs RP and some musings.
I recently started playing WoW (first time since the beta), about a month ago. When I heard I had a choice about PvP, PvE and RP servers when signing up, I thought to myself -- "RP? 'Whaddat'?"

When I found out that RP was Role Playing, it was hands-down my server-type of choice. I didn't look to where the Lurkers would be, I didn't choose a server with low population; I chose an RP server, close to my timezone. I do not regret my decision, despite it cutting me off from the Lurkers (a crowd that I knew would be good to play with, courteous, and civil).

My decision to start off RP was good for my play experience. I've thoroughly enjoyed the PvE, grouped with good, friendly players, and did not have to suffer through the horrible general chat and idiocy of other "regular" servers, as you've described.

Recently, however, I decided to give a PvP server a try. My RL friends that I play with had a PvP craving, so we decided to give the Horde a try on a server. I suggested Tichondrius, since I knew there would be some Lurkers around. After about 8-10 hours of play time, I've become incredibly sour to the server. Once I reached Ogrimmar, that was that. I don't ever want to go back. My one friend is enamoured with PvP so much that he is willing to forgive the incredible rudeness and absurdity that goes on there. I was only playing on that server as a break from my main characters on my humble RP server anyway...

Having started off on an RP server (Scarlet Crusade) seems to really have spoiled me when it comes to that sense of good community. The people I see in Ironforge are people I'm getting to recognize and even know, and the vast majority are decent people that would never /yell out "LOL N00B PWND j00" after a duel or some such. Even when PvPing against the horde, its for the most part civil.

To give you an idea of the difference between the servers, on Scarlet Crusade, when starting, I was undisturbed in the noob zones, playing with other characters with decent character names. Whenever I was in a pick-up party for an instance, the players were generous and understanding; need before greed is common sense (for the most part). To contrast that, when I started a character on Tichondrius, I saw many character names like, "MoomooX" and "Stinkles" or something like that. I'm soloing the Orc newb zone and a level 4 Shaman /fart'd on me constantly. So I made Tauren Druid. Immediately, there was a level 60 Gnome Warrior griefing, clearly making some "moo" remarks. I assume it was "moo" since the translated common was three letters. Soon after, my level 1 undead RL friend was getting griefed by a 60 Night Elf Warrior. What's with the 60's on that server? Nothing beter to do?! It could just have a been a bad stretch, where the jerk 60's decided to mess around for a while, but that's not all. It just seems like there's a lot of butchering of the English language there. Lots of "lol"s and "pwn"ing and "ur a newb"s. "Ur" is the worst... Who doesn't have time to properly spell it -- it's two characters more, "YOUR"! GOOD LORD. Typos are one thing, but come on. Anyway, I digress...

I'm lending my play experience as a bit of reinforcement to your play experiences. The RP server I'm on is quite nice. Some people say PvE = carebear server. I say, RP = jerkless (or as close as you're going to get). I want to play on a server where people don't act like 12 year olds. That's the whole point of Role Playing. Looks like, for the most part of course, I got it on Scarlet Crusade.

I'm thinking that I'll just abandon my characters on Tichondrious and start a fresh horde character on a PvP-RP server when that's ready (that should satisfy my friends and mine's cravings for PvP action).

"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*

Messages In This Thread
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Hillary - 06-23-2005, 07:58 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Garrin - 06-23-2005, 09:30 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Drasca - 06-24-2005, 05:18 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by nobbie - 06-24-2005, 06:30 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by JustAGuy - 06-27-2005, 02:19 AM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Metrocube - 06-30-2005, 05:22 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by kershner - 06-30-2005, 06:52 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Darian - 06-30-2005, 08:04 PM