You know you're a gaming nerd when...
Roland,Jun 19 2005, 02:45 PM Wrote:...you contemplate building a $1,000 computer for the sole purpose of playing ROMs on your TV.

Man, do I need help. Sadly enough, I'm actually considering saving up to do this (once I get my wholesale distributor - which will come AFTER I start up my business {God help me, business in Mass. is a bitch}). A SFF barebones from AOpen, Socket 479 (that's Pentium M, for those of you not in the know), a little passively-cooled GeForce 5200 with Composite Video & S-Video out (for legacy and new TVs alike), and a wireless rig of keyboard, optical mouse, and rumblepad that looks like a wireless PS2 controller (all by Logitech). Built-in sound, networking, etc. - would make use of the onboard video, except it has no video-out for TVs. :( 160GB 7200RPM HD (couldn't find any 10k RPM drives that still use IDE interface, for added speed) will load more ROMs than I could download in a month, complete with a DVD-burner (can't go wrong for $50!) so I can play Saturn and Playstation games (if I have the emulators), or watch movies, too. :)

All in all, I am thoroughly excited about the idea. I mean, really, imagine a "console" PC little larger than a GameCube that has ALL your old favorites from the glory days of video gaming, available in high-quality or standard video, no need to switch systems, cartridges, discs, etc., 100% portable and very power- and noise-efficient. I'd call the it "PCCube Console". I know, the name needs work. :P Hell, I could market these things, even though they'd be a niche market, and of course the ROMs bit would probably land me in court. :P But seriously, is that not a cool idea or what?

If I can get all the parts wholesale, I could probably build one for half the price it'd cost me to get the parts retail. Maybe even less! I'm so thrilled with the idea... If only I had the money.

I just had to share my little delusions. Stick around for next time, when I discuss my ideas for making plexiglass cases. :)

And, hey, at least I'm not as fanatical as this guy. ;)
[right][snapback]81034[/snapback][/right]

Why bother building a new computer for the job when you can get an exsisting console outfitted for the job? My X-Box currently has a 1 gig harddrive with a multi-use program that, among its features, holds and emulates ROMs from NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, Turbografix, Colecovision, Atari 2600, etc... This is in addition to being able to create XBox Disc Images and DvD media to the machine. Only cost was the X-Box itself (Which had to be an older version, pre 2001 I believe) and $200.00 on top of that.

Just a thought if you already own an X-Box and could find someone like my brother's friend to do it for you.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"

Messages In This Thread
You know you're a gaming nerd when... - by Roland - 06-19-2005, 06:45 PM
You know you're a gaming nerd when... - by Urza-DSF - 06-19-2005, 09:05 PM
You know you're a gaming nerd when... - by DeeBye - 06-20-2005, 03:01 AM
You know you're a gaming nerd when... - by Munkay - 06-20-2005, 03:40 AM
You know you're a gaming nerd when... - by jahcs - 06-20-2005, 06:34 PM
You know you're a gaming nerd when... - by DeeBye - 06-21-2005, 04:46 AM
You know you're a gaming nerd when... - by Roland - 06-21-2005, 09:37 PM
You know you're a gaming nerd when... - by Roland - 06-21-2005, 09:39 PM