"You can't take the sky from me."
I googled "You can't take the sky from me" (which is part of the opening theme song for Joss Whedon's cancelled cult series Firefly Click to order!) and on the first hit, I got a website with the following text:

You can't take the sky from me

This space seems to be fairly highly placed in Google for the title phrase. :-) If you're searching for it, you know what it means: if you just stumbled across it, you might not.

Last summer, one of my friends at work lent me the DVD set for Firefly. an SF western that was cancelled after half a season, before all the completed episodes were even aired. This turned out to be a completely incomprehensible decision to me, because after my wife and I sat through the 14 episodes, we agreed it was the best television writing we had seen in quite a while. Created by Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this show had strong plots, amazing acting (the reaction shots in this show are second to none), character development, and everything else you could want

"Incomprehensible" is the key word here. I will never understand why Warner Brothers/Fox/whoever was in charge cancelled this series, but this debate has been discussed for years now across coffee tables, by water coolers, and yes, even on the Internet ;)

Today, we are here for another reason. Although we still mourn the tragic loss of our belowed crew and boat to the bottomless chasm that is "cancelled tv-series", we are here today, to rejoice! "Why (the hell should I)?" you ask? Well, although the show was cancelled, it developed somewhat of a cult following. With the release of the DVD-box set (previously linked to), hordes of fans have found the beauty in these fantastically written characters. Sadly, Joss Whedon could not bring the series back onto the small screen, but he did see an opportunity of showing our crew of 10 (9 people + 1 boat) on the Big Screen.

The movie is now mostly done, and the trailer is out. It can be viewed here:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/

It's a small film, and was thus postponed from April 22nd to September 30th, because they didn't want the film to be swallowed up amongst other "great" sci-fi flicks during this time period. (*cough*Star Wars*) The trailer is among us, and we are now enjoying the home stretch towards the premiere.

"You can't take the sky from me."

[Image: firefly.jpg]
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw

Messages In This Thread
"You can't take the sky from me." - by [wcip]Angel - 04-26-2005, 09:28 PM
"You can't take the sky from me." - by vor_lord - 04-26-2005, 09:43 PM
"You can't take the sky from me." - by WarLocke - 04-26-2005, 11:47 PM
"You can't take the sky from me." - by whyBish - 06-02-2005, 05:07 AM
"You can't take the sky from me." - by Quark - 06-02-2005, 02:03 PM
"You can't take the sky from me." - by Mithrandir - 06-02-2005, 08:24 PM
"You can't take the sky from me." - by Raelynn - 06-02-2005, 08:32 PM