Man arrested at Best Buy for using $2 bills
Munkay,Apr 6 2005, 09:43 PM Wrote:What can I say, bestbuy has yet to live up to its name, and this article surely proved it.  :P
[right][snapback]73264[/snapback][/right]
It amazes me to see the Frankenstein's Monster that Best Buy has become. Best Buy started as a few Sound of Music stores here in the Twin Cities in Minnesota. They started as small stores selling stereo systems and doing car stereo installations. In my early twenties, I spent many hours in the stores. My best friend was an assistant manager of a couple different stores and we often did "component testing" after hours. I knew several of the people now listed as officers of the company and even met Dick Schulze, now a billionaire from his little enterprise.

The weirdest thing about what it has become is that it was the result of a tornado. A tornado destroyed the store where I spent most of my time and system dollars. They were selling from a trailer in the parking lot of the Roseville (St. Paul, MN suburb) store that got blown away. They came up with the idea of a sale at the nearby state fairgrounds to make up for lost sales. It snowballed into mass amounts of product being brought in to be sold at "blow out" prices. I and several of our friends worked at the sale as temporary sales and checkout people. Looking back on it, the sale was set up with a feel remarkably like the warehouse setting you see in the stores now. The sale did so well, they made it into an annual event which eventually morphed into today's warehouse stores. I wonder what would have become of them if the storm hadn't blown through that day.

(When spell checking this, it found I typed "wored" for "worked" and it suggested "whored". More than just a spell checker?? :blink: )
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."

Messages In This Thread
Man arrested at Best Buy for using $2 bills - by LochnarITB - 04-07-2005, 03:26 AM