The discarded, unused monsters
Ebon,Mar 21 2005, 03:41 PM Wrote:This is about the monsters cancelled by Blizzard - Satyr Lord, Invisible Lord, Wyrms, Bone Demons, Incinerators, Unravelers, Devilkin Brute and Arch-Litch (lich?) Malignus.
Does anyone know what Blizzard thought when they designed them?

Wyrms, Cave Slugs, Devil Wyrms, and Devourers appear to be part of the same monster set. They don't seem terribly interesting since there aren't any unused animations related to them.

Bone Demon, Red Death, Litch Demon, Undead Balrog: Another monster set. They use a giant winged skeleton animation. I don't recall if these animations are incomplete in retail Diablo, but they work fine in Hellfire.

Incinerator, Flame Lord, Doom Fire, Hell Burner: Another monster set. I don't recall if these things use the "fireman" animations, but if they do, part of the reason they aren't enabled is the "fireman" animations are incomplete and don't work correctly.

Given that Malignus has a special name, it's most likely he was a special enemy (much like how Diablo has his own entry in the monster table). My speculation is he was supposed to appaer where "Jim" the Black Knight appears in D's room on dlvl 16. Malignus is configured to "darkmage" animation, which is essentially a Mage Demon with skulls on the staff. I believe it's missing Walk animation.

Unraveler, Hollow One, Pain Master, Reality Weaver: Another monster set. These would've been interesting had they been enabled -- they would've been the only undeads in Hell. I don't recall if their animations are incomplete, but I believe they're somewhat awkward.

Devil Kin Brute: My suspicion is this was supposed to be a generic monster. Its stats are rather similar to that of a Flayed One, so it wouldn't have been unreasonable to allow it to appear throughout a dlvl.

Lord Sayter (sic): Possibly a special boss (a la Butcher). His HPs certainly seem like it. Given the boss associated with this monster base is "Blightstone the Weak" I'm curious as to whether he was an initial choice for Gharbad. Pretty sure this monster's animations are funky too.

Invisible Lord: Given the dlvl of appearance, this was quite possibly a boss as you've guessed. However, I know of no "lost" quests associated with him. A truly invisible monster certainly would've made an interesting one, though I have managed to make monsters invisible in Hellfire. I don't recall what animation Invissy was supposed to use.

-Lemmy

Messages In This Thread
The discarded, unused monsters - by Ebon - 03-21-2005, 07:41 PM
The discarded, unused monsters - by LemmingofGlory - 03-22-2005, 07:23 AM
The discarded, unused monsters - by Ebon - 03-22-2005, 09:26 AM
The discarded, unused monsters - by Sekel - 03-22-2005, 02:41 PM
The discarded, unused monsters - by Ebon - 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
The discarded, unused monsters - by Nystul - 03-23-2005, 02:49 AM
The discarded, unused monsters - by Sekel - 03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
The discarded, unused monsters - by Ebon - 03-23-2005, 02:10 PM
The discarded, unused monsters - by Selby - 03-26-2005, 09:53 PM
The discarded, unused monsters - by maniajk - 03-29-2005, 03:41 AM