Instance Bug?
Xanthix,Mar 20 2005, 10:08 PM Wrote:I have seen this happen in other instances as well. Here is how (I assume) it works.

The way the levels are designed is that when you go thru an instance portal, it actually teleports you to a new map. But to create the illusion of continuity, both levels include the area around the portal. For example, for the stockades, the Stormwind map includes a few rooms at the base of the stairs beyond the instance portal, and the stockades map includes some of the hallway and the stairs up. This is why you can see scenery thru an instance portal but not players.

Now, when a player walks through the portal, the server knows to teleport them to the other map. But evidently this rule does not apply to mobs and pets. So they walk right through it and into the empty space beyond. There is no way for a player to get there, except perhaps by a bug like a mage being able to blink beyond the portal without going through it.

Perhaps this could be fixed by making an invisible wall right behind the portal so that mobs and pets wouldn't wander there. But I doubt it's high on Blizzard's priority list, so this will likely remain a curiousity for some time.
[right][snapback]71351[/snapback][/right]
This is quite correct. In the early beta the transport to the instance was not always working as it should and the first couple of times I had a character walk through the Stockades instance portal, I did not get transported. I did end up in that small amount of area there for the looks. If I tried to walk into some of the side rooms, they only had a small landing and beyond that was fall off to the underside of the world (no "ground").

Messages In This Thread
Instance Bug? - by Mirajj - 03-20-2005, 04:25 AM
Instance Bug? - by Kevin - 03-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Instance Bug? - by Concillian - 03-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Instance Bug? - by Xanthix - 03-21-2005, 02:08 AM
Instance Bug? - by Ruvanal - 03-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Instance Bug? - by Bolty - 03-22-2005, 04:03 AM
Instance Bug? - by Darian - 03-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Instance Bug? - by Treesh - 03-26-2005, 03:37 PM