Basic Party Strategy
For the rogue, the role generally seems to evolve from tank into main assist. The low-level rogue is pretty straightforward, but here's a few notes devoted to rogues in high-level instances (Strat, Scholo, UBRS etc.).

The biggest shock in the high-level instances comes when you realize that you're a useless target dummy. You're wearing leather, and you do more damage than most warriors. But the mobs you're facing will still be standing after a Cold Blooded 5-pt. Evis. You will pull aggro and die.

Now it's time to adapt to the changed game.
:P

In most groups, your role as a rogue will be to control the pull and then to assist the main tank in bringing down the target. Control can be easily handled with a sap - be sure to communicate specifically what you're doing prior to the fight. (State the mob name; if there's two or more, it helps if you always favor one side. My guild knows I'll sap the leftmost same-named mob unless requested otherwise.)

Following that, you need to assist the tank. This requires a shift in attitude - you're no longer the killer. You're the controller and the finisher. Allow the tank to hold aggro, and don't draw too much attention to yourself. This is especially true in places like Stratholme when you may end up with 5 or 6 mobs pulled and a bonus swarm of additional critters. Make yourself useful, and do not give your healer a migraine.

How do you do this? Stun your targets. When the tank is ready to open a battle, stealth. Let them pull. When the mob is brought back to the group, cheap shot the warrior's target. Keep attacking it and pull a kidney shot when you can. While doing this, be watching your casters - if any of them draw aggro, it's your job to go peel it away. The tank doesn't want to run over there and pull mobs with him and disrupt the entire battle.

Allowing a skilled tank of similar level to hold is usually not a problem. But if you deal lots of damage, or the warrior is lower level than you, you may need to hold back on sinister strikes or whatever. Eviscerate and other such hate-generating finishers are best used when the high-level mob is at 20% health or less. Personally, I switch out of agility gear and into stamina for the instances. Feint like crazy. Evade. Use Crippling Poison II if there are runners. Use debuff effects if they don't interfere with the group dynamic. Don't vanish if you can help it, it's disruptive and unreliable. I make sure I have a huge array of healing potions and bandages to allow the priest to focus on the others. Sometimes I even switch out the epic weapons and downgrade to thrash blade.

There are four times when I will go all-out and unleash all of my damage - (1) To save a caster's life, (2) When a mob is at 20% or less, (3) When I'm facing a boss, (4) When I've drawn aggro and I have no way to lose it. (1) should be uncommon, (2) is all the time, (3) is situational and (4) should be rare.

(1) Casters
Go all-out. Draw the aggro, evade, stun when you can. The appreciative caster will probably assist you as soon as they can. When the target is dead, go back to assisting the tank.

(2) Finishers
You will learn each mob's relative life, armor and damage levels. Don't unleash until you're sure you can finish the mob quickly. Done properly, you will save the tank precious seconds that they can use to attack the next mob and you won't take any damage. By the time the mob turns to retaliate, it's dead.

(3) Bosses
Depending on the size of the group, the power of the tank(s) and the nastiness of the boss, you may want to stay alive. But often, it's your mission to draw crazy aggro, evade, heal, deal lots of damage and die. Pulling the Baron off of a wounded tank to commit a self-sacrifice is a good thing. As individual boss tactics are learned, group dynamics will improve to the point that you usually don't die or don't have to go all-out.

(4) Hate
It will happen, especially in extended battles. You get an accidental high-damage critical and all your timers are shot. Do everything that you can, do as much damage as possible. Heal if you have the chance. Do not call for aid if the group is swarmed - they have bigger problems. If need be, pull the mob(s) into a corner or other place where they'll have a long trek back to your allies, and where your body will be easy to reach and res. Do not run, especially into unexplored territory. Back into the best piece of cleared territory possible while dealing damage.

A note on healing

Food is good prior to the instance. The best time to ask for buffs is before the run begins. Battle buffs are usually for tanks. Potions are best used as quickly as you can get benefit from them, so that the timer is as short as possible. Bandages are for use when you've killed a mob and don't have aggro and the tank has things under control. The advantage to self-healing is not only to keep you alive, but more importantly, to allow the healer(s) to focus on others. The more you heal yourself, the more you're an asset and the less you're a liability.

Messages In This Thread
Basic Party Strategy - by Savingsupertokyo - 02-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Basic Party Strategy - by acidjax - 02-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Basic Party Strategy - by Artega - 02-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Basic Party Strategy - by redinter - 02-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Basic Party Strategy - by Tal - 02-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Basic Party Strategy - by DarkCrown - 02-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Basic Party Strategy - by Mavfin - 02-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Basic Party Strategy - by Xanthix - 02-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Basic Party Strategy - by Treesh - 02-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Basic Party Strategy - by DarkCrown - 02-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Basic Party Strategy - by Xanthix - 02-28-2005, 09:57 PM