Guild Wars: Character Profession Primary attribute
TriggerHappy,Feb 11 2005, 04:33 AM Wrote:As do Elementalists ...
Correct.  This fact was not in dispute.
Nah, it just means you're a secondary Mesmer or Ranger and you've filled up your energy pool using the Mesmer drain skills or Marksman's Wager.  You might also be BIPed by friendly Necromancers, and have more energy than you know what to do with.  Or you're a primary or even secondary Elementalist and have energy constantly availalbe  through even 1 point based Ether Renewal.

Translation: Soul Reaping does not work too well 1% of the time when you are a typical character, or with 5% of the characters that are slightly atypical (Energy hoarders)

Quote:I wouldn't decide something's wrong with another's playstyle if they're very good at keeping their energy pool filled through inventive use of skills and attributes ;) .

If you have max mana, in a pitched battle, for more then 2 seconds (And the odds of Soul Reaping going off in those 2 out of 40 seconds?), I do believe there is something wrong with one's playstyle, because, you know, you could be... Casting spells..? :mellow:

Quote:If that's 4 people on their side, you're mopping up their Warriors/Rangers.  If it's 4 dead on your side, you've lost.  Your monk isn't going to get any spells off thanks to enemy Rangers.  Certainly no Monk lives for long when I'm playing my Ranger/Elementalist, Ranger/Mesmer or Elementalist/Ranger.

Right. And if its 2/2? And if one guy died, got ressed, another guy died, got ressed, repeat 4x? Or if its a drawn out battle with characters reviving? Or if someone brought a pet along? In all those cases, suddenly, Soul Reaping is better then energy storage.

Quote:Besides, if you're a Monk, wouldn't Divine Favour or Energy Storage be more useful to you as a prime attribute?  Monks are more capable than ANY class out there of abusing Ether Renewal, thanks to their fast cast spells and low cost healing.
Why would the Elementalist's burst potential be gone?  Using Ether Renewal, Marksman's Wager or Mantra of Recall he's got a 70 energy pool to fill very quickly.  Not only does the Elementalist/Mesmer or Elementalist/Ranger have twice the Energy capacity of the Necromancer, but he can fill it quickly (while doing damage), and have 100% control over it.

Divine Favour - its a viable alternative. If you are mostly using Orison for healing, it is a very much viable alternative. However, if you are slapping on Healing Seeds and Word of Healings, the Divine Favour bonus is suddenly diminished in power.

You also seem to base your entire tactic around Ether Renewal... May I bring up Shatter Enchantment/Rend Enchatment again? Or the fact that it requires an elite slot, and a few enchantments to get the best benefit out of it?

Quote:That's a common mistake.  There are so many ways to refill that energy pool quickly.  Sometimes so quickly that it screams "unbalanced!" (see Ether Renewal or Mantra of Recall).
If your tactic involves getting in range of a Ranger's flatbow, I don't really want any part of them.
Correct, that was the buff.  It's now finally half the minimap in range.
Rend Enchantments
Description: Target foe loses 2-8 enchantments. For each Monk enchantment removed, you take 40 damage.   
Energy Cost: 10
Activation Time: 3 Seconds.
Recharge Time: 30 Seconds.
Linked Attribute: Curses. Increases enchantments removed.
Skill Type: Spell.

See the highlighted part?  That's the reason Rend Enchantements (and other skills like it) was never a real threat to me in any of the PvP matches I've participated in (which is quite a few, over the BWEs).  They can't keep up.

Right. Ether Renewal/Aura of Restoration? 30 second cooldown. Healing Seed? 25 second cooldown. Healing Hands? 25 second cooldown. XXX Attunement? 60 second cooldown. Funny. All the impressive enchantments that don't sap a regeneration arrow... Have the same cooldown as Rend Enchantments. Consider that it removes several of them.

Quote:More importantly, I can stil fight even without those enchantements.  Nor does removing them do any damage to ME.  I'll just recast them later and refill my energy.  Meanwhile, I'll kill the Necromancer who's cast it on me.

And the Necromancer is suddenly completely and utterly crippled after Rending, in what way..?

Quote:And ofcourse Rend Enchantmenets and other skills like it do nothing to stop the Marksman's Wager (preparation) and Mantra of Recall (stance) refill methods.
It's not an either/or choice that you're forced to make.  You use Mantra of Recall to fill your 2x energy capacity allowed by Energy Storage ;) .  Or atleast that's what Elementalists who wish to keep up their damage output do.  The only unfortunate thing is that you must take another stance to be able to use Mantra of Recall.  Thankfully, that's a pretty small price to pay for the benefit.

There's more then one way to skin a cat. And more then one way to regenerate mana. While Ether Renewal is best suited for low cost, low cooldown skills, consider that most necromancer skills have medium to high mana costs and cooldowns. Soul Reaping, on the other hand, benefits any skill choice - as long as you aren't sitting around with full mana for half the battle.

Quote:Mantra of Recall, Marksman's Wager and Ether Renewal are all very powerful ways to get much more energy to play with, than the utterly uncontrollable and situational Soul Reaping will ever be capable of.
[right][snapback]67804[/snapback][/right]

Right. And <Insert skill combo here> is much more effective then <Insert attribute here>.

Well, gee, you know, maybe primary attributes are meant to... Supplement character power... Instead of winning the match for you?

Edit: Regarding the Energy Storage @ 10 = +30 mana thing, your post made it appear that Energy Strorage = +70 mana. Which, is frankly, quite misleading.
"One day, o-n-e day..."

Messages In This Thread
Guild Wars: Character Profession Primary attribute - by SwissMercenary - 02-11-2005, 05:13 PM