I am playing Morrowind for the first time
[ Wrote:Angel,Feb 5 2005, 04:41 PM]Before I say *anything*...

Whenever I play the game, this is the very first thing I do after I leave Seyda Neen. The game is unplayable without the Boots of BS.

EEP! Deebye has not played this game before! That's one heck of a spoiler. The only saving grace is that he probably doesn't know where Caldera is yet. Showing him the secret* armors of the game so early is not fair to Deebye, Angel--especially when he requested mods that don't unbalance the game. Let him have his own discoveries.

*secret to a first-time player.

This game is quite easily playable even without multiple teleport mark + extra travel NPC mods.

Spells/Scrolls/Amulets of Divine and Almsivi intervention (purchasable everywhere, particularly in temples like Balmora's temple) make town travel a breeze. Halfway to the next town? Use Almsivi or Divine to go to Dunmer or Imperial towns respectively.

There's also a mark and recall spell. It used to be called teleport and did both functions in Daggerfall, but your teleport spell is split into two for functionality sake in Morrowind. Use mark to "remember" a location for later teleporting to. Use recall to teleport to that marked location. So, you may go back and forth from a dungeon by using Mark at the dungeon, divine or almsivi intervention to head to town, and recall to go back to said dungeon.

This is an advanced use of the spell techniques available. Using this plus silt striders + boats, should get one near everywhere.

And btw: There are very few locations that could screw up one's game.

The only location based version is to defeat the default end-boss Dagoth Ur (He tells you to buzz off if you're not ready, anyways) AFTER killing a Vivec God--and if you're able to lockpick 100, and defeat Vivec in combat. . . you should be able to pump your own strength through alchemy enough to physically destroy the heart of lorkhan without special tools--or simply gain the tools and suffer the scripted health problems long enough to win the original game.

If you do kill an important NPC by accident, you're usually told.

Saving often is a good idea in general. MW tends to crash.

Tip for improving MW performance: Morrowind uses a lot of threads. Turn off every other program and unuseful service (which should happen regardless), then go to task manager and set Morrowind's service priority to LOW. (Optional: Go to Control panels-->System-->Advanced tab-->Performance-->Processor scheduling. Set cache to 'optimize for backround services') What happens is that Morrowind's threads collide with each other each demanding CPU time. When set to low priority, they somehow balance each other out and since no other services are drawing huge CPU time, Morrowind is free to use the CPU time for its own threads.

Strange, but true. MW takes more CPU time for its threads in backround services than for the game rendering itself.

Messages In This Thread
I am playing Morrowind for the first time - by Drasca - 02-05-2005, 10:06 PM