I am playing Morrowind for the first time
DeeBye,Feb 4 2005, 10:16 PM Wrote:My question, I guess, is pretty vague.  Is there any specific type of character that is more newbie-friendly than others?  This time I started with a Redguard Warrior, but I don't want to handicap myself.  I'm not saying that I need this specific character to be able to complete the game, but I'd surely like to be able to get a good look at most of it before moving on to a new character.  I'd like something that's easy yet fun to play.
[right][snapback]67231[/snapback][/right]
I got so caught up in the discussion of mods I completely forgot to answer this. Most people find that playing some kind of melee character is the easiest. There are some complaints that mages end up having to melee anyway so why not just go with melee up front? With melee, you don't have to worry about racial resists (one of the early Dunmer is a spellcaster; if you don't pick up a non-fire based spell before you meet him it can take longer to kill him since he resists fire), you don't have to worry about mana levels, you don't have to worry about arrows/bolts. Melee can be quite fun for the starting player. And there are different kinds of melee too. I had a meleeing thief-like character (I always play custom classes) that I had a blast with. I also had an almost straight warrior who was fun, but it drove me nuts to not be able to get into every locked chest or door. ;) I've also enjoyed my ranged characters and my mages so I'm not completely infatuated with melee and that's why I'm suggesting it. For those new or relatively new to the game, melee seems to be not quite so overwhelming or complicated as ranged or magic. As you get used to game mechanics and how things work and what to expect, then you can figure out better what style or blend of styles works best for you.

Edit: Forgot to mention that some people don't like/can't get used to the whole move your character in order to change what type of melee attack you're using (thrust, slap, chop), but that you can get around by simply going under the options and enabling "use best attack".
Intolerant monkey.

Messages In This Thread
I am playing Morrowind for the first time - by Treesh - 02-05-2005, 04:12 PM