Sketching in galleries and museums?! The nerve!

>I would ask the supervisor if they can show me these policies in writting. Then I would go back to the gallery and spend 2 hours sketching the pedestal the statue is on or the lighting system and frame of a painting without actually drawign the painting or sculpture.

Believe me I was pretty tempted to do just that. Ultimately I decided against it that day, because I was there to enjoy the work and learn. Spiteing boneheaded policies wasn't high on my list, yet.

>If someone sketches art with the intention of reproduction or sale then there is a problem. But then there is the whole proof of intent to worry about.

At the risk of oversimplifying the copyright issues, most artists I've dealt with are pretty cool with sketching for the purpose of learning. Some treats it as 'industry secret', but most are quite happy to share. Since that's how they learned themselves.

But if I were able to say, convince someone a pencil sketch of mine is the actual Mona Lisa, I'd probably quit wasting time on this art thing and switch to politics instead.

>I would bet that if the Museum sold sketching supplies in it's gift store and only allowed it's materials in the gallery(kind of like popcorn at the movies) then I bet they wouldn't have any problem with sketching.

Don't give them anymore ideas, next thing you know I'll be seeing official Gallery Approved\Gallery Safe pencils at 10$ a pop.

Messages In This Thread
Sketching in galleries and museums?! The nerve! - by Hammerskjold - 01-20-2005, 09:19 PM