The Tank
Cryptic,Jan 5 2005, 03:47 PM Wrote:Hence, an essay on warrior communication should break down into three quick sections.  First, the initial “lecture” given to a new group to let them know what their expected roles are for maximized efficiency.  Second, quick-key codes that can be typed during battle to signify specific actions and to let the group know what the warrior is doing / planning / thinking of doing.  And third, how to keep things somewhat controlled when everything falls to pieces and group cohesion is threatened.  The alternative (which unfortunately is the only situation I’ve so far experienced) is the warrior dying and blaming everyone else for being “stupid” and letting their mind-reading skills go on the fritz, and for being "bad dogs" and not taking barked orders properly.

This is an excellent point. At the very least, the priest and warrior need to be on the same page, and the party needs to agree on what to do in a priest OOM situation and/or break for mana regen situation. However, people blaming others for deaths are themselves a problem.

Quote: ... especially when that "better" way ends up giving me less treasure, less gold, and less experience per hour.  I’ve been lectured by warriors on how to play a “real” rogue so many times that I’ve given up on them, and gone on to strictly solo play. 

I think that stems from warriors being setup so much for instance play. Instance play is a completely different style of play. And instance play isn't really about max exp/hour or gold/hour, because it doesn't equal that... especially for a rogue who can get a significant amount of income from pickpocketing before the opener. You do instances for two reasons:
1) You like it / for the challenge / because it's there
2) Getting items otherwise unavailable

Tactics need to be totally different for ALL classes. I mean, I'd venture a guess that VERY few warriors run around solo-ing in defensive stance, and priests rarely heal when solo. You simply need different tactics in instances.

Couple that need of different tactics with Joe Public who doesn't know any better and you have a situation where the Warrior is used to teaching people how instance play needs to be different from solo play. I would guess he is trying to teach and you are trying to teach and nobody is listening. You both think your way is best and nobody wants to budge. Telling people to listen doesn't belong in a warrior guide so much as it belongs in a psychology book.

Quote:I'm doing just fine, thank you, and I can afford better equipment at the AH than what you're wearing, with money left over, without having to roll for things against you that you don't even need. 

That is not a class specific issue. I've seen a rogue roll against a priest on BOP staff, for instance. That issue is whether or not the person behind the screen is a dolt.

The fact that money and experience per hour are things you seem to hold dear indicates that you are probably not well suited for instance play. That's a good thing about WoW, there's plenty to do solo for those who don't want to group and plenty to do grouped for those who don't want to solo.

Quote:I’ve spent time looking into the warrior class in-depth – enough to know I don’t want to play one, and to understand some of the tactics involved in keeping a group alive.  But my experience has been that many warriors don’t have a working knowledge of how other-classed players want to play.

Again, this is also not class specific. A LOT of players don't know much about the abilities of the other classes. Ideally everybody would fully understand every class, but that's too much to expect from everyone. Any and every player going into an instance should at least make an effort to learn a little about tanks and healers. Even that is somewhat rare.

I think part of the source of your rant stems from the fact that rogues are relatively simple and attract more of the people who just want to smash a button and kill stuff and not think too much about what they are doing. I'm NOT saying you are one of those people, but rather that the experience others have with other rogues influences how they treat you. Class prejudice, I guess.

Paladins are similar in that respect. The percentage of those who know how to act in a group situation is smaller than the other classes, however it's a little less serious to the group as a whole, since paladins tend to steal aggro less. Also, when they do, they have armor that can help them be a lot less of a burden on the priest's mana pool than a rogue.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.

Messages In This Thread
The Tank - by Artega - 01-05-2005, 10:56 AM
The Tank - by stabby - 01-05-2005, 12:38 PM
The Tank - by Tal - 01-05-2005, 02:12 PM
The Tank - by Concillian - 01-05-2005, 08:05 PM
The Tank - by Olon97 - 01-05-2005, 08:12 PM
The Tank - by Cryptic - 01-05-2005, 10:47 PM
The Tank - by Olon97 - 01-05-2005, 11:50 PM
The Tank - by Concillian - 01-06-2005, 12:18 AM
The Tank - by Artega - 01-06-2005, 12:45 PM
The Tank - by Kevin - 01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
The Tank - by Artega - 01-06-2005, 08:44 PM