What issues do you think are most important
Hi,

Chaerophon,Dec 14 2004, 04:13 PM Wrote:That's not the point.  The point is that industrial notions of time and work arose in the general population because they were forced upon them.  A whole wack of subsistence agriculturalists didn't wake up in the morning and decide "hey, I want to work from 6 in the morning until 7 at night in a factory, repeating the same motions over and over again, and I want my kids to do the same". 
[right][snapback]62847[/snapback][/right]
I don't think that a "wack of subsistence agriculturalists" would have built a country out of a wilderness, and gone on to settle a region that, at the present, is larger than all Europe combined. And, if I remember my history rightly, industrialization *followed* colonialization in all regions, so the lack of fear of working hard appears to have been a characteristic of those colonists before the agency you suggest induced it existed.

Now, for both pragmatic and emotional reasons, I do not assume strict causality, but your argument is too 'relativistic' even for me to swallow. ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
What issues do you think are most important - by --Pete - 12-15-2004, 12:08 AM