European ENGLISH WOW Collectors Edition
nobbie,Dec 11 2004, 01:59 AM Wrote:Well, the German voice acting isn't bad, it's just different. [right][snapback]62535[/snapback][/right]

I'll have to disagree.

"Bad" in my book encompasses the complete lack of emotions, which pretty accurately describes the German voice acting in D2, I couldn't stand it, I actually had to turn off voices to play D2 until I got my English version. WCIII and FT are another example where A LOT of "feeling" gets lost because of unbelievably unimaginative and dull voice acting. The Shadow Hunter's "Wont to see somthing reeeel sgary?" is brilliant (take note: I LOVE the Jamaican accent, so -> biased), the German equivalent, while translated properly (*) sounds like a sleep-deprived sloth speaking perfect textbook German. Hmpf. Same goes for all other Horde Races, they sound exactly like the Humans (well most of them anyway) or Dwarves, for that matter. This can actually be a gamebreaker for me but I realize that my PoV may be a bit extreme, I just think that the German language (or at least the translations I read/heard) doesn't really fit a fantasy setting. And reading the German WoW site gives me stomach cramps, no, not the forums, the content pages.

While my first language is indeed German ("Austrian German", mind you :P) I can probably be described as teh ubar anglophile, I myself don't really know why. Maybe because my first out of school contact with the English language occured via playing "Arthur's Quest", one of the first games on my father's first Mac. Ahh, the memories :) . Or it may have to do with English being ridiculously simple in comparison to most other languages :lol:
Later I studied to become a translator/interpreter for a couple of years and from this semi-informed point of view I suspect that finding decent people to do the (German) localization of games is generally not high on the priorities list of game developers/publishers. Heck, I would have applied for the WoW localization team if I didn't have to work in Paris...

Greetings

Nuur

P.S.: Hmmm, were you talking about the German voice acting in WoW? I haven't heard any of it yet (didn't dare to try the samples on the Blizz Europe page) and it would therefor be unfair for me to bitch about it (just yet :) ). Just take this as a mild and slightly off-topic rant then. Thanks.

* you have to be grateful for that, in KotOR they translated "You are not gonna take this from him?", meant as encouragement to answer an insult, into "Das wirst du doch nicht von ihm annehmen?" / "You are not gonna receive that from him?" =ouch. "Wipe this pathetic planet from the face of the galaxy!" Turned into "Mach diesen Planeten frei von der Galaxie!" ARGH!! In some 3rd class action movie they even translated "air strip" directly into "Luftstreifen" :wacko:
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.

Messages In This Thread
European ENGLISH WOW Collectors Edition - by NuurAbSaal - 12-11-2004, 12:38 AM