There will be no real PvP system
Some snippage to tighten focus of reply.

Bolty,Dec 7 2004, 08:28 AM Wrote:Obviously I lean very, very strongly in the Explorer category - practically 90-95%.  However, I think you may be taking the term "Explorer" a little too literally. 
Explorers don't just travel to see "distant" lands (which I'd already all explored anyhow), they experiment with everything in the game. 
And of course I kept starting new characters!  I'm an Explorer - I want to see and try everything.  I played Warlocks, Priests, Mages, Warriors, and Rogues, and my only regret was that I lacked the time to try out more classes. 
Gankers are an irritation - I don't get mad at the players so much as I get mad at the system that allows the players to waste an hour-plus of my time while I'm "Exploring," just as you described.  My attitude when being ganked is not "that F&*#ing jerk!"  It's more like "well, there goes another 5 minutes; sigh..."

-Bolty
[right][snapback]62127[/snapback][/right]
Please forgive the snipping.

On the article and personality types. (The link elicits a "grazie mille" to Mongo Jerry.)

1. Bolty, I'd venture to assert that Variant Scum are eccentric Explorers, and even less extreme persons are the core community of LL Land, who often fit the Explorer motif. As a special request, though, could we be considered "Mozillas" rather than "Explorers?" :lol: Bill Gates is the ultimate griefer to some, eh?

From the article, in re "killers.
Quote:Tilting towards killers is more difficult, because this type of player is parasitic on the other three types.  The emphasis on causing grief has to be sacrificed in favour of the thrill of the chase, and bolstered by the use of quick-thinking and skill to overcome adversity in clever (but violent) ways. In other words, this becomes an arcade ("shoot 'em up") type of game.

If this analysis is correct, and my gut says it is, can one conclude that the garden variety PK will tend to be an FPS customer for the gaming industry? If so, one way or another, these MMORPG "parasites" (Sirian, where are you with a comment on that turn of phrase ?) are catered to in the hopes of sustaining some measure of brand loyalty -- by any game company.

3. On one of Mongo Jerry's points, my response to that in a different vein.

Quote:Once you hit level 30, you have lots of places -- both outdoors and in instance dungeons -- where you can quest and explore without fear of the worst gankers.  Once you hit level 40, you're going to be adventuring in zones where the griefers don't tread and even if one griefer or a group of griefers did come to one zone, you'll have so many places you could go instead -- or so many places to disappear to within a given zone -- that it wouldn't matter.

This strikes me as the Diablo II and Diablo I equivalent of "go play passworded games if you don't want the PK's to bother you." Is this ability to "disappear" present on a full server? I must profess ignorance, which is why I ask. I envision, perhaps incorrectly, that part of the fun of the Gank Gang is to hunt down the prey. Maybe only for a small set.

I make the observation realizing that with a subscription model, server population can be reasonably controlled to ensure that Realm population density does not force players to trip all over one another, unlike the Malthusian crowding that would now and again plague bnet Realms. Or was that, again and again . . .

On Gankmeisters.

4. Gankers and D II (HC and SC) PKers, particularly those who used Trigger hacks and scroll hacks . . . they are more than an in game irritant, they are in game people, just like their targets. While it is nice that WoW is not HC for that express reason, my bile is saved for the jerk, not the game, although when loopholes are found, the non closing of them is a separate source of frustration.

Golfers will quip "it's not the putter (club), it's the putter (person putting), that is the source of three putts." Well, it takes an act of volition to PK/grief someone, and there is not infinite time and money to design a perfect online world. The lion's share of culpability lies with the parasite cum person, who deserves each and every bit of derision or abuse, or other suitable response like the D I island trapping, that he or she receives for griefing: be it PK, item snatching, kill stealing, quest disrupting, spamming, whatever.

We may have to agree to disagree, but as I see it, society is not to blame when Shorty murders Frankie: Shorty is. The same applies to the parasites if "reasonable" measures are taken to mitigate their suckage. (Imagine a large slimey lamprey . . .)

Of course, "reasonable" measure identification takes us to where you may not want this thread to go. There appears at the moment a dearth of new, salient points to harvest.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
There will be no real PvP system - by Bolty - 12-05-2004, 05:22 PM
There will be no real PvP system - by Assur - 12-05-2004, 06:52 PM
There will be no real PvP system - by NuurAbSaal - 12-05-2004, 06:57 PM
There will be no real PvP system - by Rinnhart - 12-05-2004, 08:12 PM
There will be no real PvP system - by Munkay - 12-05-2004, 10:36 PM
There will be no real PvP system - by Skandranon - 12-05-2004, 11:06 PM
There will be no real PvP system - by Treesh - 12-05-2004, 11:35 PM