Anyone still playing Dungeon Siege?
Well, I wouldn't exactly say it's less fun then bashing one's head against a wall but there is a certain feeling of being ripped-off after buying the game.

There was this vague vision of a dev-team meeting:
Greedy scum Manager (GsC): "Hey, lets make our own interpretation of Diablo...it worked for Mr. Gates so why not for us?"

Dev 1: "Sure we could do that but that's not realy original, is it?"

GsC: "Alright, you've got a point there but there's mucho Bucks in it"

Dev 2: "Hm, don't you think we may get into some copyright trouble?"

Dev 1: "Well, we are not ripping a CD and burning it right?"

-all lough-

Dev 3: "Lets make it with a 3D-engine, looking realy stylish and cut the human interference with the battles to a minimum...this way we will have no balance issues as it is US who decides how attacks are used not the player, they only get to select it...he he"

Dev 2: "So a bit like a Football game where the player gets to select the line-up and the tactics but not control the players directly"

Dev 3: "Exactly, this way it will be sort of a Screensaver with limited user interaction"

GsC: "Cool, the need for support will be minimal."

Dev 2: "But what about the replay value"

GsC: "Oh don't be smart. You know that reviews are based on playing a game once, if they complete it at all and sales are based on reviews...so who cares if the game is exactly the same when playing it again apart from the skills one selects."

Dev 1: "...and let me add that if we stick to our concept players will be half-asleep throughout the game anyway so the replay value will be awesome."

-all lough again, this time louder and more confident-

Dev 3: "I have a great idea, lets get some 13-year old 1337-Gamers and get them to think of the most CeWl-fEaTuReS they can think of and throw them in."

GsC: "I guess thats a wrap. Foolproof concept for making a huge profit, but remember to get the PR-department informed and let them spam the boards with how awesome this game is."

Here my vision ends...

So what I wanted to point out is that to me the game is massively boring because the player is a spectator in the battles which reduces the fun considerabely. On the other hand this caters largely towards those who like sport games with a similar tendency.
If you like being a "Trainer" rather then a Quaterback, Linesman, Runningback or whatever...this is your game!

Have fun anyway
Dave
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Messages In This Thread
Anyone still playing Dungeon Siege? - by WarLocke - 09-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Anyone still playing Dungeon Siege? - by Drasca - 09-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Anyone still playing Dungeon Siege? - by WarLocke - 09-28-2004, 05:06 AM
Anyone still playing Dungeon Siege? - by WarLocke - 09-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Anyone still playing Dungeon Siege? - by MonTy - 09-30-2004, 01:57 AM
Anyone still playing Dungeon Siege? - by Jim - 09-30-2004, 04:59 AM
Anyone still playing Dungeon Siege? - by Thecla - 09-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Anyone still playing Dungeon Siege? - by D-Dave - 09-30-2004, 01:01 PM