school attack in russia
EDIT: Apologies to all: I gooned up the nesting of quotes, and mixed up Bob's and my comments. My bad, I are a rube sometimes.

Quote:Although, either way it doesn't spell good news for the Chechens, or, unfortunately, innocent chechen civilians.

Is there such a thing?  "They are all Cong."  The terrorists, to include Arabs who have chosen to help the locals, are, per Mao, swimming with the fishes, hiding behind the skirts of the women and children.  The terrorists have made the civilians part of the target set by using them as a flesh shield. They do this deliberately in order to try to score propaganda points with the weak European stomachs.

Quote:Large armies tend to be worse trained than smaller armies.

False. US has a big army, extremely well trained. The Red Army was well trained. The current Russian Army less so. The Belgians I worked with were generally well trained and smart, but not a formation I would want on my flank. Lame. Give me a Royal Dutch Marine or a German anyday. Or a Norwegian. Or a Finn. Or a Canadian.

Quote:Worse trained soldiers tend to make more mistakes

True. IT's about training, not size.

Quote:, like shoting civilians, or being a bad shot and accidentally shoting civilians.

Shooting a civilian is a hazard of war. War is chaotic, bloody, and foul. The political leadership of Russia will determine how much blood inadvertantly shed it can accept, and provide guidance accordingly. It may be that the Russian government has a harder stomach than the German or Belgian government. Which makes being a "civilian" in Chechnya a raw deal about right now.

Quote:They also tend to be less disciplined and therefore more likely to shoot civilians for revenge, or whatever reason.
Like I say, bad for innocent civilians.

If there is such a thing as an innocent civilian, a presumption, not a fact, then yeah. By the way, what is going on in Checnhya falls into the class of war called "civil war" which as we know from history, is nastier, if such can be said, than more conventional wars.

How do the fish terrorist swim with "civilian" fishes without complicity? Without some support? There's a bunch who are most definitely not innocent. They are guilty accessories before the fact. And another bunch who probably are reasonably innocent, or guiltless anyway, and are in a very crappy situation about now.

Ugly, Ugly, Ugly. There is no up side.

The fault lies with the terrorist, who chooses that method to achieve his aims, who draws the "innocent" into the gun target line.

Poorly trained and poorly disciplined soldiers merely add to the down side.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
school attack in russia - by eppie - 09-06-2004, 06:09 PM
school attack in russia - by Minionman - 09-06-2004, 06:23 PM
school attack in russia - by kandrathe - 09-06-2004, 11:29 PM
school attack in russia - by Bob - 09-07-2004, 12:39 AM
school attack in russia - by Occhidiangela - 09-07-2004, 10:54 AM
school attack in russia - by Brista - 09-07-2004, 03:14 PM
school attack in russia - by Jester - 09-07-2004, 06:38 PM