Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3)
"I have a rocket launcher now. Ho ho ho."

I think the game suffers a bit from letting you save and load whenever you want. Whenever I get attacked from behind and lose more than 2hp, I quickload and do the next 5 seconds over. (I quicksave after every kill.) Needless to say, this leads to a lot of quickloading, and it sort of ruins the game. Now I could just *not* save and load every so often, but I'm a perfectionist: If I can take a monster down without losing any armor or health - and taking it down by using the least amount of ammo - then that's what I'm going to do, no matter how many attempts I have to make.

I would have preferred a Far Cry-ish save-system where the game automatically saves at a designated junction which becomes the next starting point if you choose to quickload. It keeps the flow of the game going by forcing the player to choose to play on, instead of having to redo the last 5 minutes of the game. In a game like Doom 3 (and Far Cry for that matter) which relies too heavily upon atmosphere and the player being mindlessly engrossed in the game, the quicksave/quickload-approach-to-battle has a tendency to chop up the game into small pieces instead of presenting a continuous flow of monsters and mayhem, which really does detract from the overall fun of it.

I know I should just force myself to abandon the quicksave-button (or at least the quickload-button) for at least for 30 second intervals, but I just keep thinking "what if there's a boss fight around the next corner? Will I be prepared" and so forth. Obviously there are no boss fights around the corner, because there are almost no bosses. (I've just fought the one so far; the one that reminds me of Duriel.)

It's a good game, but in addition to me playing it like a moron, there are a few problems I have. I don't like spawning monsters. That's one of the reasons I hated Soldier of fortune. The scripted events can be a tad too scripted. It feels like I'm in a play and not in a real live world. But then again, that could be attributed to my save/load-mentality.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw

Messages In This Thread
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by ldw - 08-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by [wcip]Angel - 08-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-13-2004, 01:00 AM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3) - by Guest - 08-19-2004, 06:38 PM