WOW and Item/Account Sales in Online Auctions
First of, I have a general question. How do one actually do such transaction without risk of being fooled? How do an auction site or sell site (such as eBay) make sure that someone goes inside the game and actually transfer the item? Are they just sitting on money until they get a "go" from the buyer? How do they make sure the seller doesn't get fooled? This of course applies to non game items too I guess. Just curious.

Another issue is how to actually enforce such rules for the game How can Blizzard know that character X in the game who just gave/sent an item to character Y involved the two players exchaging money some way outside the game? One have to remember the game itself has many ways to exchange items, were do you draw the line? What if someone instead of paying money simply gives you a dinner some day? Or help you out in a nother game, exchanging item for item? If it is a lucrative bussiness, it will happen no matter what and in more or less secrecy as needed. Closing accounts is in my opinion not a sufficient way to go since the risk of getting cought is so small.

As a side note, I don't personally think the "problem" really IS that much of an issue, depending on how the game is set up and how it works.

My final comment is simply an amazement that there are enought people actually interested in paying the ammount of money for, for example, items in a game to make it a possible bussiness to start with.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Messages In This Thread
WOW and Item/Account Sales in Online Auctions - by Jarulf - 08-09-2004, 09:58 AM