"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11&
I hope it is not a problem that this old thread is brought up again, but I wanted to add my comments, after having seen both Bowling and Fahrenheit recently. (and I found it a bit early for the US presedential elections thread).

First I would like to comment on the points often brought up by people "opposing"these movies. For bowling several people gave as most important comment that they really disliked the way Charlton Heston was portrayed, and what was shown of him being at this NRA rally just after the columbine shooting. In my opinion this one one of the least important things adressed in this movie. I found the interviews with the canadian youth a lot more significant for the whole weapons issue. Canadians, just did not have a clue why in Canada there was so much less violence and deadly shootings than in the US. Canadians seemed also to live with a lot less fear than US citizens. This scaring of citizens by the media, is something which later also comes back in Fahrenheit. All in all I think Bowling was a nice movie, but could not make me get a different opinion on things.

Fahrenheit was also made in a more or less propaganda kind of way, which at some points made me start disliking it. But than on the other hand it is something that comes back in television very often (in important things like news shows e.g.) so I don't blame Moore for using the same kind of techniques. Also this movie did not make me change opinions (because for me it more or less confirmed what I already knew). It gave some shocking facts however, especially on the Bush/Saudi connections. The positions in companys that the ministers in his government held before getting that position was also quite disgusting to see. (I'm assuming BTW that no lies were used in this movie (by Moore), and I consider myself inteligent enough to look through creative mixing of video footage).

I have the idea that Bush does not care too much about the american people and that he is using his presidency for his, and his friends, financial benefits. Bush himself cannot be blamed too much btw. I have never seen somebody in such a position that was so unable to really tell what he feels or wanted to say. You can see that he is able to make correct sentences when talking about golfing or hunting, but as soon as it is about politics he does not say anything sensible anymore (and Fahrenheit is not my only source of Bush speeches). I have the idea that the group around hin like Rumsfeld, Cheney and his father are the real responsible.

If some of you lurkers can still be bothered to react on this old thread, I would like to hear your opinions on Bush' feelings for the american people, his capacity to be president and the role of the people around him.
eppie

Messages In This Thread
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:40 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by eppie - 08-02-2004, 07:56 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 08-02-2004, 02:27 PM