Patch Notes Comment Thread
Hi,

Single biggest thing is the PvP additions. Looks like we have two choices, non-consensual PvP everywhere and non-consensual PvP almost everywhere. We'll see, I guess. But so far the only thing that made Blizzard RPGs playable (IMO) was private games where we could keep the Type-A individuals out. If I *have* to put up with the crap that is so common in public b.net, then I for one will toss this game.

I guess the item and gold wipe was pretty well expected by most. I guess this was Blizzard's way of "fixing" the SM (?) exploitation. Good enough for a beta, but given their poor track record in D2 (and *no* track record in D1) I certainly hope that this doesn’t become their "normal" mode to fix things. "Hope", not "expect". With the combination of item wipe, skill point nerf, and the quest wipe, getting to keep our characters and getting the old ones unlocked is pretty hollow. Again, we'll see. For sure, there are going to be a lot of characters all looking the same for a while as they run around with the best gear their money can buy. Blizzard's "well, we wanted you to keep your characters, but we want you to redo all the lower lever quests cause we tweaked them and added a few" attitude pretty well demonstrates that a compromise is usually the worse choice. It fails to accomplish either goal (making the players happy or testing the low level stuff) while irritating both sides.

The changes to the rest system are about a 50% improvement in that they took out about half of it. Taking out the other half will make it 100% better, IMO. Sure, it will no longer be such a PITA, especially as you get to where a couple of hours play knocks you down from well rested. But since the thing never had a valid purpose in the first place, and would not have accomplished it in the second, no amount of gold plating will ever make it anything other than a gold plated turd.

The auto rise on the attributes takes one more option away from the players. The linear progression of all character types has just become a bit more linear. At the present rate of progress, by the time WoW is released in December (of some year :) ) it will be a 200 hour video. You get to choose a character and his/her features. Blizzard will then do everything for you from picking quests to attacking monsters. However, you will still need to click on each and every item of loot. Probably have to even click on the "go away" button of empty loot pop ups. Bah!

Postal system sounds good. Now that a means has been generated to deliver and get payment for items, maybe the implementation of WoW-bay will make it possible to buy and sell without having to devote vast chunks of time to trading. Again, we'll see.

Mixed batch of things on trade skills. I don't see that they've fixed many of the problems with them being trade skills in the first place (too many things are only usable by the maker of the item, enchantments are almost impossible to put on worthwhile items that others have, etc.). And what's "Alchemy has been increased to level 50" mean? The same for Blacksmithing and Leatherworking. Fifty skill points (the now *scarcer* skill points) to get them? Wow, if that's the case Blizzard really knows how to fix things -- not! Not unless it either allows bigger stacks or gives more space in the bank. And ooooh! Campfires, made in the woods from wood bought in stone towns now last 10 minutes. Has anyone actually stayed by their campfire for the old 6 minutes? Has anyone other than me even much bothered with campfires? (I like one nearby when I'm fishing -- keeps the chill off).

Paladin: the most useful auras are now spells. Guess that is one way to get us to use the useless auras. Depending on duration, a Paladin can now spend 110% of their time in a group buffing and healing. I guess they crossed the line from a primarily a front line fighter to a REMF. Again, will have to see how it plays out.

Warrior: Big improvement is the addition of a brief stun to all levels of Charge. Hopefully this will eliminate the Celtic keyboard dance that had to be done with level 1 charge.

Mounts look good, although I may never get a chance to get one since leveling isn't a priority with me. Plate, ditto.

This huge push looks to me like a whole bunch of little patches that could have been released one at a time over the past weeks since the last push. Seems that that was what Blizz had promised -- remember the "test" of the patcher with the last push?

Basically, mounts is big and new, so is PvP, mail is small and new, pretty much everything else is just a tweak. Still no Hunters, no real ranged class (rogue's built in throwing is the closest), no WoW-bay, no mention of UI improvements (like a sortable spell/abilities book that stays put, like a skills page that gives attribute info (not that that matters anymore, they are auto increased for you, so whatever they do, *you* won’t have to make a choice), like moveable panes, like the ability to see what you have when you go to see a trainer), no mention of whether you'll see your arms/weapon in "first person" view.

EDIT: Most important of all, no Talents! From the standpoint of game play testing, the lack of talents means that either they will be useless or what we're doing now is little more than server loading.

Ah, well. We'll give it a test. After all, it is a beta.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Patch Notes Comment Thread - by MongoJerry - 06-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Patch Notes Comment Thread - by --Pete - 06-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Patch Notes Comment Thread - by lemekim - 06-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Patch Notes Comment Thread - by --Pete - 06-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Patch Notes Comment Thread - by --Pete - 06-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Patch Notes Comment Thread - by MongoJerry - 06-16-2004, 12:52 AM
Patch Notes Comment Thread - by --Pete - 06-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Patch Notes Comment Thread - by MongoJerry - 06-16-2004, 01:44 AM
Patch Notes Comment Thread - by Bolty - 06-16-2004, 02:08 AM