"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11&
Chaerophon,Jun 9 2004, 05:45 AM Wrote:And from this we may draw my argument that the United Nations, as a supranational organization, possessed of its own charters and standards of law can be opposed to an action, and act unilaterally in condemning an action, even if a member of the security council is not.  Just thought I'd throw that in there for Moldran.
How does the fact that USSR invaded Hungary and Afghanistan and vetoed the SC resolutions condemning it lead to the conclusion that the UN as an organisation were opposed to these attacks ? The body that voted such a resolution in regard to Afghanistan was the GA. In the case of Hungary 1956, I think there was no UN resoultion at all.
So your argument is that the GA determines the UN's position in regard to military invasions ? The UN charter says otherwise. The GA is not allowed to even discuss such a question if the SC has the same question on its agenda. The GA has ignored that in the past, though (acting illegaly, if you take the charter serious).

BTW: Hungary was not annexed.

Messages In This Thread
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:40 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Moldran - 06-09-2004, 09:05 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 08-02-2004, 02:27 PM