Why do computers still have floppy drives?
The curse of a large university is when the internet connection goes down, it goes down. It often takes a few hours before anything is figured out (which mostly takes a few hours of deliberation before a reset button is pressed :P).

Often times this left me stranded without a way to print papers (though I configured my roomate's printer to allow me to print through the network by the end of the year) so i turned to my beloved cd-r. Not just any Cd-r, Open CD 2002. Yup, this puppy's been kicking around since my brother and I swapped Baldurs Gate II save files back and forth. By burning a single 'open' cd-r, and keeping track of it, I've never had to hassle with a floppy. This is not to say I don't believe in the value of the floppy drive, but for general file swapping the open cd-r has been ideal.

The last time I checked Open CD 2002 is almost full (mostly due to transfering digital pictures from the computer illiterate down the hall, which are convinced they know how to send attachments but they magically *never* actually arrive ;) )

But at any rate, I've found that with one single Open CD-R, I've never hassled with a floppy. Burning never takes longer than 45 seconds, and I've haven't delt with trying to figure out my fried floppies from good floppies in years.

Am I the only one?

Messages In This Thread
Why do computers still have floppy drives? - by Munkay - 05-29-2004, 05:12 AM