Combat Tactics
I've been reading the discussion here with some interest (since WOW is a candidate for the next Lounge game). I normally wouldn't be interested in the game (I didn't like Warcraft and don't usually care for MMOs). I'm more of a strategy game type of player (note that I do not consider RTS games to be strategy games).

I have several questions about the tactical aspects of combat (in particular, most of my other questions are being answered by other threads).

Is friendly fire implemented in the game? If not is it "missed"? By this, I mean, do people use massive AOE spells on a regular basis? Does it allow weaker characters to (too) easily hide behind tanks? I should note that the lack of friendly fire in D2 was always one of my greatest dissapointments. I suspect it isn't in the game (due to grief issues), but I'm also interested in whether or not it is missed (IMHO, this is one of the top 3 flaws with D2).

Is terrain important in shaping the tactics used in a given battle (or misison)? I don't hear anyone mentioning the type of terrain... For example, can you get closer to monsters before they notice you if you approach from behind a tree? Or do you try to use terrain to protect you from missile/magical armed ranged attackers?

How varied are tactics based on the different types of monsters at any given character level? Does it increase with level? One way to "measure" this would be the number of different approaches based on the monster you're facing. How many are necessary as opposed to convenient (ie won't win the battle vs win a bit faster)? Does this change whether it is a group or solo? (I'm particularly interested in the answers for groups). Does terrain play a part in this?

How important is playing skill/universe knowledge in shaping tactics? Can a new player do half as well as a veteran, 90% as well (with the same character)? Does the character level matter? Is much of the difference going to be in character development/optimization (as it is in D2)? I realize (hope) it may be too soon to answer these question.

I'll admit that much of what I'm reading so far is indicating that the tactics are even less diverse than D2 (which was much worse than D1). For me, D2 was really on the borderline of fun and boring (I enjoyed D2, but always felt it was wayyy below its potential).
---
Ebony Flame

Messages In This Thread
Combat Tactics - by dkass - 05-26-2004, 03:00 AM
Combat Tactics - by FoxBat - 05-26-2004, 03:37 AM
Combat Tactics - by MongoJerry - 05-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Combat Tactics - by lemekim - 05-27-2004, 03:09 AM
Combat Tactics - by unless - 05-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Combat Tactics - by --Pete - 05-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Combat Tactics - by lemekim - 05-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Combat Tactics - by MongoJerry - 05-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Combat Tactics - by dkass - 05-29-2004, 01:30 AM