Poison from different attacks
It was bugging me, because I knew I used to know the answer, so I just had to look it up. I did some tests in a very early version of D2 here. A second poison attack with a lower rate of damage was ignored, but a second attack with the same rate and duration as the first seemed to replace the first poison attack.

People talked about the second attack negating the first, but I think what they meant was that, with poison, they could never increase the rate of damage that was done to the monster.

That is, you could have an attack that did 1 damage/frame to the monster for 200 frames (8 seconds). If you hit the monster again with the same attack after 100 frames, you would still be doing only 1 damage per frame to the monster, not 2/frame. But, the poison would last until 200 frames after the second attack, not the first. So, the first attack only mattered until you made the second attack.

The way that multiple sources of poison stacked in the same attack changed in a later patch, but I don't think that a lower rate poison ever replaced a higher rate one.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete

Messages In This Thread
Poison from different attacks - by Butch27 - 05-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Poison from different attacks - by adeyke - 05-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Poison from different attacks - by Wyrm - 05-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Poison from different attacks - by adeyke - 05-16-2004, 04:40 AM
Poison from different attacks - by Griselda - 05-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Poison from different attacks - by Butch27 - 05-16-2004, 04:56 PM