First Impressions...All Over Again
Hi,

I started a troll priest, Hrunnod, yesterday after finishing the download and install (and, no, there was no difficulty at all getting online with Win98SE).

Hrunnod made it to level 4 with no problems in the couple of hours I had to play him. With the exception of one FedEx quest (that took me to the village more or less NE of the starting location), all the other quests were of the "kill n of x" type. I found that by picking a good position (back as protected as possible, preferably on a slight elevation), I was able to complete all the quests without death :)

My usual form of attack is two Holy Smite cast as fast as possible, followed by melee. Although I cast Lesser Heal on myself after each encounter, it really wasn't necessary most of the time, but the "use it to buff it" system made it advisable. On a couple of occasions, I was fighting two mobs at once, and then I needed to cast Holy Smite more often during combat, and occasionally Lesser Heal as well. My mana never got low enough to cause me to have to wait between combats.

Other than slight upgrades to my gear and the automatic bumps the game gives, my character is still vanilla, straight out of the box. I have yet to find anything I want to train in, or any reason to do so yet.

The one FedEx quest took me close to an inn where I acquired a hearthstone. I used it once out of curiosity, and again when I was logging out. I like the delay in using it, so that it cannot be used as an escape route ala D 1 & 2 Town Hall. I'd still like multiple stones, each tied to a specific inn, but we'll see.

Had I heard the trollish accent prior to naming my character, I would probably have named him differently. More French or central-European ;)

At least at these very low levels, a priest seems to be quite viable solo. The Lesser Heal and ability to do some melee damage would probably make him a useful addition to a party, but I've yet to test that.

Oh, and just outside the den yesterday morning there were four people having a dance ;)

EDIT: Two addenda:

It's clear what the popular races were. . . . All the Warriors will be Taurens. Blah.

Hmmm. Methinks you are overlooking the variant scum. :)

Second: How does one tell if the character is in the bonus, normal, or penalty stage of "rest"?

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
First Impressions...All Over Again - by Bolty - 04-16-2004, 12:50 PM
First Impressions...All Over Again - by Jarulf - 04-16-2004, 02:00 PM
First Impressions...All Over Again - by Jim - 04-16-2004, 04:26 PM
First Impressions...All Over Again - by --Pete - 04-16-2004, 05:20 PM
First Impressions...All Over Again - by Tal - 04-16-2004, 06:15 PM
First Impressions...All Over Again - by --Pete - 04-16-2004, 06:19 PM
First Impressions...All Over Again - by Ruvanal - 04-16-2004, 07:43 PM
First Impressions...All Over Again - by --Pete - 04-16-2004, 07:58 PM
First Impressions...All Over Again - by Ruvanal - 04-16-2004, 11:37 PM