Any interest in a NHL playoff thread?
There is no better time of year than this, and after just two days, I'd say this is an exceptionally good crop. It's just a shame that without Center Ice, we'll *never* get to see Toronto/Ottawa, and only see Vancouver/Calgary once down here in California, because of the 8 match-ups, those are definitely the two most exciting in my book.

As to predictions...

East:
Tampa Bay vs. NYIslanders - Lightning in 5
Boston vs. Montreal - Bruins in 6
Philadelphia vs. New Jersey - Philly in 6
Toronto vs. Ottawa - Ottawa in 7

Tampa Bay vs. Ottawa - Ottawa in 6
Boston vs. Philadelphia - Philadelphia in 7

Ottawa vs. Philadelphia - Ottawa in 6

I'd say Toronto has the talent to get to the final from the east, but with Nolan out, that weakens their PP. But more importantly, I don't know that Belfour can carry them all the way, and Trevor Kidd certainly can't. Tampa Bay is the new kid on the block, and while they certainly have talent, I don't think it can carry them all the way. Philly's got some depth, but Desjardins missing on the blue line hurts a lot. And as was said previously, Raycroft, while a great goalie, probably can't carry Boston all the way. So in the end, I think Ottawa has the best combination of talent and hunger, given how they were denied last year.

West:
Detroit vs. Nashville - Detroit in 5
San Jose vs. St. Louis - San Jose in 5
Vancouver vs. Calgary - Calgary in 7
Dallas vs. Colorado - Dallas in 6

Detroit vs. Calgary - Calgary in 7
San Jose vs. Dallas - San Jose in 7

San Jose vs. Calgary - San Jose in 7

I'd be lying if I said this was entirely unbiased. ;) In all honesty, I'd say either San Jose or Dallas will come out of the west. San Jose has some of the best chemistry and speed in the NHL, while Dallas has a lot of big-name players who play well together, and an active goalie who can make a huge difference. Say what you will about Detroit and their hall-of-famers and their depth and etc., but there are too many upstarts out west that have more chemistry, speed, and drive this year for them to get by. Calgary and Vancouver is going to be a shoot-out, but Kiprusoff used to be down here in San Jose, and while his performance in the starting role last year was less than stellar, I don't think that was his fault...I also think he can carry Calgary past an upset of Detroit, especially with Darryl Sutter coaching and Jarome Iginla getting his first real go at play-off action. Colorado lacks the chemistry to really get anything done, especially since they're going against a hot Dallas team that has found their game again. After watching game 1 of San Jose/St. Louis tonight, St. Louis looked outmatched, and the game was as close as it was because Osgood kept them in it, and they kept the play bottled up along the boards after the first period (zzzzzzzzz). Anyway, San Jose/Dallas would be another classic grudge match, as would the winner against a cinderella Calgary team.

As to the cup? I think this is Ottawa's year. There's no way it's easy, but I saw them in person earlier this year, and they just looked like a team that was together out there. With the likes of Hossa, Alfredsson, and Havlat on their games, and the sting of last year still in their heads, I think they can get past the east, and beat whoever actually does make it out of the west.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop out of super-lurk mode to throw in my two cents and wake the thread back up. :)

Go Sharks!

--SkyDarkwind
*clutches his Game 2 St.Louis/San Jose tickets closely*

Messages In This Thread
Any interest in a NHL playoff thread? - by DeeBye - 04-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Any interest in a NHL playoff thread? - by mjdoom - 04-05-2004, 04:39 AM
Any interest in a NHL playoff thread? - by DeeBye - 04-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Any interest in a NHL playoff thread? - by mjdoom - 04-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Any interest in a NHL playoff thread? - by gekko - 04-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Any interest in a NHL playoff thread? - by Mirajj - 04-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Any interest in a NHL playoff thread? - by SkyDarkwind - 04-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Any interest in a NHL playoff thread? - by DeeBye - 04-11-2004, 04:09 AM