A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long)
(continued)

. I'm sure that you'll have your bands of people that will be just as annoying the PKs an MKs in Diablo (yes, I’m referring to the first one). Either way, I think that it’ll be both interesting as much as it’s annoying.

I saw various messages about so-and-so dying in a duel, but I haven’t tried that. Perhaps that it might be cool to find out about that, should the opportunity arise. I haven’t tried to see if you can just go “hostile” and attack anyone, like you could in the first Diablo. It seems like Blizzard had fixed that issue in Diablo II, where you would have to outright select that you’re going hostile, and it warns the other party.

You then run across the general helpfulness or the courtesy of the other players in the game. I was looking for one of the MPCs, and simply couldn’t find him. I asked the general region of the game “Where is ______ in Darnassus?” No answer, despite seeing about a dozen level 20 elves pass me on the trails or in the city. Then a level 15 elf was kind enough to answer me when I stopped him and asked him, but unfortunately, I was pointed in the wrong direction. It eventually took a level 25 elf on his way back from the main continent, who was kind enough to simply say “follow” and off we went, dropping me off at the very person that I needed to talk to to finish a quest. (Whoever you were, thank you) But when I was asking for assistance with finding the MPC I was looking for, I answered the questions of other people in the region, but nobody answered back to my question.

4) Learning to play the game – I went into this with the thought of “okay, just dive right in, and learn it.” I found that playing the warrior persuasion of the elf was rather easy to learn. Click on a target, and decide if you want to attack…. Pretty straight forward. If you want to attack, you can hit “F” or you can right click on your target. One thing that I learned quickly, and especially after Bolty’s warning was pay attention to the monster’s level. Another thing is some monsters of one level may very well be easier or harder to kill than another kind of monster of the same level. For instance, I was able to take on a level 6 Nightsabor (jungle tiger), but a level 6 Timberling (a walking tree with a lot of angst) would scrub the forest with me.

5) Monster levels – I like the fact that you can see what the monster levels are that you are thinking about going up against. One thing with this, again through Bolty’s advice, if you’re dealing with a monster that is 3 levels higher than your character level, you’re asking for trouble, and will most likely lose the fight. There have been cases, however, where I have tackled monsters that is either my same level or one level higher than me where I have come out of the fight victorious but with 13 hit points. Just because you leveled up, doesn’t mean that you’re ready to take on monsters your same level. I’ve caught myself making that mistake several times, often to a less than desirable result.

6) Special Abilities – Since I’m only a level 9, I have a lot to see yet. But I think that I might have figured out a decent strategy for taking out monsters, and I apologize if someone else has already written about this. IF that’s the case, then let this be a confirmation for you. These are the abilities that I’ve found are the most useful (to me) as of yet.

Strike: A more powerful strike, which will do about twice the damage as your normal swing with your weapon. Very useful when coupled with a few other special attacks.

Rend: It’s a fact. Monsters, when hurt enough, will run. They do come back, or at least I have never let a monster get away, or they have died due to this attack while running. The closest Diablo II term that I can put on this is Open Wounds. Right now I have only “Rank 1” Rend, but for 31 seconds after the monster is inflicted with this, they lose hit points periodically. This is especially helpful if you are in an area where you are surrounded by monsters that you know that you can’t take them all on at once, and your immediate target runs. If you hit the monster late enough in the fight, and they have low enough hit points, then you can just sit pretty and wait for the monster to either come back to you, or die while running off. I’ve found this to be extremely helpful.

Messages In This Thread
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Saxywoo - 03-31-2004, 06:05 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Saxywoo - 03-31-2004, 06:06 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Saxywoo - 03-31-2004, 06:08 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by BEEFMOTRTON - 03-31-2004, 07:27 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by DeeBye - 03-31-2004, 07:50 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Jarulf - 03-31-2004, 03:10 PM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Saxywoo - 04-01-2004, 04:29 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Roland - 04-01-2004, 08:19 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Roland - 04-01-2004, 08:21 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by DarkCrown - 04-01-2004, 06:45 PM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Syl_Aran - 04-01-2004, 10:50 PM