Things to know about Chile
From her internet name of Miyuki_Mina:

1.) Is it advisable to get yourself a credit card or will traveller-cheques and ready cash be sufficient?

Credit card reccomended. Most of them are usable here.

2.) Is it necessary to speak spanish, or can you make ends meet with english?

Few people speak other language than spanish, so yep, there'll be the need to speak spanish

3.) What does she have to consider when you rent a car, so that the guys don't pull a fast one on her?

I honestly don't know about that, since I can't even drive. Sorry about that one.

4.) Do you really have to fear getting robbed / kidnapped if you get into someone's car, i.e. does that happen often? Are the Chileans tourist friendly, do they have antipathies?

Be careful mostly in the center of the cities. There are people who can try to mug you there. Specially in Santiago.

Chileans are rather friendly people. There's some antipathy going towards some of our neighbors, tho, due to not so smooth relationship - but we're generally nice.

5.) Can you say something about the cost/performance ratio in youth hotels, hotels and guesthouses?

There should be some info here: http://www.chile-hotels.com/ and http://www.visitchile.com/index2.asp?idioma=ing

6.) Which travel destinations can you recommend? (speaking of insider's tips, no tourist traps... )

North:
* Arica
* Iquique
* Antofagasta
* La Serena
* The Valley of Elqui
* The Valley of San Pedro de Atacama

Center:
* Santiago itself
* Viña del Mar
* Valparaíso
* Concepción
* (Maybe) Talca and Rancagua

South:
* Puerto Montt
* Puerto Varas
* Island of Chiloé
* Pucón
* Villarrica
* Valdivia
* Torres del Paine and its Glaciers

7.) Any other things she ought to consider? Tips and tricks?

Nothing really. I'm mostly a Santiago person, so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. ^^

Hope it helps!

Double note, for emphasis. These are my friend's words. No credit for me except as messenger boy asking favors in proxy nanner nanner nanner! Just don't kill the messenger. Unless he's a really annoying harbinger of doom with a whiny voice and a whistling nose

Messages In This Thread
Things to know about Chile - by Fragbait - 02-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Things to know about Chile - by ShadowHM - 02-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Things to know about Chile - by kandrathe - 02-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Things to know about Chile - by Drasca - 02-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Things to know about Chile - by Fragbait - 02-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Things to know about Chile - by south - 02-18-2004, 02:55 AM
Things to know about Chile - by Occhidiangela - 02-18-2004, 04:18 AM
Things to know about Chile - by Fragbait - 02-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Things to know about Chile - by Drasca - 02-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Things to know about Chile - by Fragbait - 02-26-2004, 01:24 PM