Things to know about Chile
It's a country, not a side dish for Fajitas. :) Sorry, could not help myself.

European influence that extends beyond the typical corrupt Spanish Colonial model in much of Latin America, manifested itself in significant German and Italian, and IIRC Scottish, immigrations in the 19 and 20th century.

Echo an above comment about being relatively safe, and again, it will look a bit like COntinental Europe in that regard. Think Spain, with a somewhat different flavor. Which means that an analogous organization to the Guardia Civile will be around.

1. My info is a bit dated, but, there is a considerable strain of Fascism present in the upper and middle class, which means that the cops can't be expected to act as cops in England or US might. You screw up, you could be in for a very rough day. Pinochet may be gone, but the undercurrents are still there.

2. Officers in the various services are required to carry side arms, or were up until I last checked in 1995, even when in Civilian Dress. This means, some people in nice suits are packing.

3. The hunting, fishing, and backpacking are, from all reports I have received from friends who do that sort of stuff, superb . . . but like anywhere else, for a price.

4. Night life is very much on the Continental European model, in terms of when and how.

The wine and fresh produce is of high quality. Not sure about meat, but Argentina is right next door, and those folks know how to raise beef, so I suspect that you can eat good beef in Chile if you are there on travel.

That's all I know.

Check the "Eyewitness Tours" series of travel guids, they beat Fodor's arse, on Chile for a good rundown of what to do there for "fun" as a tourist. And bring your fishing pole. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Things to know about Chile - by Fragbait - 02-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Things to know about Chile - by ShadowHM - 02-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Things to know about Chile - by kandrathe - 02-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Things to know about Chile - by Drasca - 02-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Things to know about Chile - by Fragbait - 02-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Things to know about Chile - by south - 02-18-2004, 02:55 AM
Things to know about Chile - by Occhidiangela - 02-18-2004, 04:18 AM