I forget, does enchant trigger twice on...
MEAT,Feb 15 2004, 11:39 PM Wrote:Humm, after reading the Enchantress Guide hosted on this site, it says the double enchant bonus is applied to Melee damage only and that is what is displayed on the LCS (character screen).  For missile damage, its half whats displayed on the LCS.
Careful with how you're reading the guide. It's a double application of Fire Mastery -- not double damage. In melee, in effect, you get Fire Mastery applied twice to your attack:

(Enchant base damage) * (Warmth synergy) * (Fire Mastery at time of enchanting) * (Fire Mastery at time of striking)

Whereas with ranged weapons, the formula is simply:

(Enchant base damage) * (Warmth synergy) * (Fire Mastery at time of enchanting)

So, if you're fighting melee and your Fire Mastery at the time of striking is +300%, then you'll do four times more fire damage than if you were fighting ranged.

However, as mentioned in the guide, you can attack using bows and crossbows with exploding arrows and end up hitting the same monster multiple times: once with the arrow, once with the explosion, and if you are using a weapon that pierces, possible explosions off monsters and walls behind the monster. Plus, the explosion is an "area of effect" skill, so you can end up hitting multiple monsters with the same shot. Thus, the damage dealt per time for meleeing (assuming a very fast weapon or a 'Passion' blade that allows you to Zeal) and ranged with piercing exploding bows are comparable.

I've played both kinds of enchantresses in several equipment configurations (and wrote the Enchantress Guide), and when people new to the enchantress ask me whether they should fight ranged or melee, my usual recommendation is that they should start out with a ranged enchantress. I think it's easier to pick up and feel successful with it. Plus, it's less dangerous than being a melee sorceresses, so you can be successful without a lot of fancy equipment (once you get a demon machine, you're set). However, once you're familiar with the enchantress and have collected some good equipment, I highly recommend creating a melee enchantress. They're a lot of fun.

Messages In This Thread
I forget, does enchant trigger twice on... - by MongoJerry - 02-18-2004, 02:08 AM