Windows Source Code Leaked
Cryptic,Feb 13 2004, 06:23 PM Wrote:and perhaps even after that, I'll still choose Windows, simply because I find the whole Linux-adoption holy war to be rabid, overly aggressive, and condescending to "Lusers" who happen to be intelligent but not technologically proficient.

Windows sucks, MS sucks.  Sure, we can agree on that a bit.  But I don't want any poor gamers to be shuffled off on some damn fool crusade simply to do the bidding of the Linusdroids.
:P
Otherwise, you're no better than "them" that you so eloquently condemn. :P

Not all Linux advocates are rabid MS-haters. I, personally, am a F/OSS advocate, who happens to like Linux over the other F/OSS alternatives (BSD, etc.) There are plenty more rabid MS-lovers that bash Linux users and advocates than there are Linux advocates who bash Windows users and advocates. Do not judge all for the actions of a few.

I understand your point, and I witness what you describe everyday. But, in terms of volume of one vs. the other, the Windows *users* bashers are FAR fewer than those who simply advocate F/OSS. You can't let a couple anal retentive tech-geeks get under your skin, no matter what camp they live in (Mac, Windows, Linux, BSD, etc.).

Myself, I've switched over several of my more commonly-used applications to F/OSS alternatives. In some cases, I lose some features / functionality. In others, I gain so much more. I don't go around bashing Windows users anymore than I bash anyone else. I don't bash Microsoft, either, accept on account of their utter arrogance, and horrible practices. I don't hate Windows so much as I hate the driving mentality and policy behind the company that produces it. ;) I actually love my Windows 2000 box. Yet I still can't wait to get away from proprietary software and into F/OSS software exclusively, simply because of the mentality / principles behind the whole thing.

Anyway, enough ranting. I didn't mean to post such a long-winded retort. ;) Just don't be so critical of the software / mentality simply because of a few over-zealous anal retentive people who have a wee bit too much time on their hands. ;) Give Linux a whirl sometime. You may like it, you may not, but at least respect the ideals behind it. :D

BTW - Best way to test out Linux is through a "Live Eval" version, i.e. a distribution ("flavor", "style", etc.) that runs entirely off a CD-ROM disc. SuSE has long supported Live Eval versions of their distro, and Mandrake now has their own variant (MandrakeMove, based off of Mandrake 9.2). I gave it a whirl, despite already being somewhat familiar with Mandrake's products (not to mention a big fan ;)), and found it to be very nicely put-together. The best part about it is that you don't have to install anything to your hard-drive - it's all run right off the CD, so you can test it anywhere on any machine, no matter what OS is currently installed. VERY good for those who want to test out Linux without making the "commitment" required to install it, configure it, etc. And, what's more, it may just sprout up a whole new way to use OSes - portability. Take your MandrakeMove CD, a USB key, and you have not only an entire OS, but a way to store your data in a conveniently small package, all able to fit in your pocket and go with you anywhere. You don't even need a laptop! Personally, I find the whole idea very intriguing, and hope it broadens some, but it may stay just a niche area in the OS world. Who knows...

Ah, enough chat. I've drolled on for far too long already! :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*

Messages In This Thread
Windows Source Code Leaked - by Roland - 02-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Windows Source Code Leaked - by --Pete - 02-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Windows Source Code Leaked - by Shaft - 02-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Windows Source Code Leaked - by kandrathe - 02-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Windows Source Code Leaked - by --Pete - 02-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Windows Source Code Leaked - by TheDragoon - 02-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Windows Source Code Leaked - by --Pete - 02-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Windows Source Code Leaked - by kandrathe - 02-13-2004, 10:23 PM
Windows Source Code Leaked - by Cryptic - 02-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Windows Source Code Leaked - by kandrathe - 02-13-2004, 10:37 PM