Knights of the Old Republic Appreciation Thread.
Wow, new drivers really make a difference. :D

When I bought KotOR, I had a GeForce2 MX/MX400 (64mb PCI) and the 45.23 Detonator drivers. I had to turn off all the eye-candy and run it in 800x600 to get bearable performance (strangely, using either the Low or Medium texture packs didn't seem to change performance at all).

After I bought my GeForceFX 5200 (128mb AGP) and installed the drivers it came with, I was able to run the game with Frame Buffer Effects on and the High-detail texture pack. At 800x600 there was still some choppiness, but it was much better than before.

Then, the other day, I downloaded the newest nVidia drivers (53.03, released 12/09/03) and did the whole "uninstall old drivers, reboot, install new drivers" bit. Holy crud did those make a difference. I'm now running KotOR with:

High-Detail Texture Pack
VSync
Shadows / Soft Shadows
Grass
2x Anti-Aliasing
2x Anisotropic Filtering
Frame Buffer Effects

... And it runs smoothly! The only time I've noticed slowdowns is if I'm in an outdoor area (Taris Upper City, Dantooine Courtyard, and I bet the Kashyyyk Shadowlands will hurt) with lots of stuff going on (NPCs, dynamic shadows, grass waving, etc.), 2+ lightsabers swinging around, and 8+ Mandalorians firing blaster bolts everywhere. I'm still running it at 800x600, but that's more because the menu screens don't scale, and I think they look fugly all shrunk down.

My God, this game is gorgeous. :o

On the gameplay front, the Dark Side got a whole lot more fun on Dantooine. Being able to toss out Chokes and Force Lightning and Drain Health is almost enough in and of itself. But... you can now do some evil stuff. I got two families to kill each other! :ph34r: I'm sooo on my way to being Dark Lord of the Sith. B)

I did 'redeem' Juhani, but that was because the Council was breathing on my neck over these 'tests'. It'll be fun corrupting her. Muahaha...

Oh, and telling Bastila her face was "all screwed up like a kinrath pup" was priceless. She really is cute when she's embarrassed. :D
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]

Messages In This Thread
Knights of the Old Republic Appreciation Thread. - by WarLocke - 12-26-2003, 07:48 PM