BN Uncertainties
Quote:These folks who went off and came up with avant garde ways to make the game harder did so, I understand, from a need to revitalize the thrill of playing Diablo. Perhaps they had a few clvl 50 characters lying about...

There may have been a few variant folk who had 50s, and fewer who had multiple 50s, but this mindset came originally came from Woody wanting to shock people. Later, it evolved and was carried on by a breed of people who couldn't get enough of the game's dynamics. Old characters are boring! They don't change, they don't grow, they don't find new gear except once in a blue moon. There's no excitement to it! "Variant scum" thrived on playing young characters, and most played lots of them. Charis had so many characters I don't know how his marriage survived it. I've got at least four character sets for D1 and two more for Hellfire. I don't rightly know how many Thenryb has. I'm pretty sure Cyrene and KoP had a bunch.

Most dyed-in-the-wool variant scum, the sort of folk who don't feel right playing "normal" chars, had lots and lots of characters. "The End" was usually a 3@30, or sooner if the player was distracted by a more tempting crippled character.

Quote:I cannot imagine that mindset.

And I cannot imagine why anyone wouldn't why to play a Nude Luminous Barbarian. It just seems that nobody else has, so I'm guessing they had a good reason for it. Not one I'd understand, of course.

Quote:My point is that I'm not entirely sure I'm qualified to gleen what the author intended. Unfortunately the last great fallback - common sense - goes right out the window when discussing variants

It's a different kind of sense. (Most call it nonsense.) In part, it might help to assume the "role" of the character (if available) and decide what he'd do in that situation. Other times questions arise about things not so directly tied to the character's psyche. In those situations, the typical sort of thing is this:

If the rules forbid it, it's out.
If the rules allow it, it's in.
If the rules don't speak of it at all, it's up to you.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]

Messages In This Thread
BN Uncertainties - by dotPlaid - 10-30-2003, 09:38 PM
BN Uncertainties - by Guest - 10-30-2003, 09:42 PM
BN Uncertainties - by dotPlaid - 10-30-2003, 10:00 PM
BN Uncertainties - by LemmingofGlory - 10-30-2003, 10:47 PM
BN Uncertainties - by dotPlaid - 10-31-2003, 02:07 PM
BN Uncertainties - by LemmingofGlory - 10-31-2003, 08:07 PM
BN Uncertainties - by Selby - 11-01-2003, 12:22 AM
BN Uncertainties - by LemmingofGlory - 11-02-2003, 12:37 AM
BN Uncertainties - by NakedMage101.5 - 11-04-2003, 10:50 PM
BN Uncertainties - by LemmingofGlory - 11-04-2003, 11:37 PM