v1.10beta 100+ immunities acting as psuedo absorb:
Quote:He has a point. I'm inclined to look on it as an unanticapted consequence of v1.10 beta's new immunity system--perhaps if Blizz comes out and says it is indeed intentional I'll consider it "hidden" and not a possible bug.
So a bit of testing might be in order to determine whether this "problem" upsets the play balance (and perhaps Blizz should tweak the damage calc routine) or whether it is, rather, an unannounced new "feature".

It is not a really 'new' aspect of the game. I was using the v1.08 of the damage application routine to look at how this was being handled. The main change now is that there are many easily accessable monsters that can have a base resistance that is 100+%; but very few will have over 130% to one type of resistance.

Yes, you will be getting a degraded damage amount against certain monsters with the way this works, particularly with a an attack like Vengance that can deliver large amounts of several types of damage in one blow. But in most cases the damage will not end up being degraded that much. Just try not to be using a form of damage against a monster that is showing an immunity listing against that type of damage. Like why would you be using Holy Shock against a Lightning Immune? Use something else like Holy Fire, Holy Freeze, Might or something (even if you don't have many skill point into one of them).

The largest amounts of resistance that you will typically be seeing in the game will come when there is a boss pack that gets something like Fire Enhanced while also having a high starting Fire resistance amount.

Some resistance notes (someone else can dig through the files for a better listing)
physical: Highest base resistance is 100%. Stone Skin boss packs will be the main concern here.

Magic Resistance: base max 100%. No boost on this that I can think of off the top of my head.

Fire Resitance: base max 140%, less than 10 types have 130+%.
etc. (I need to run now).

Last note is that only 'innanimate constructs' had a resitance that was at 1000%.

Messages In This Thread
v1.10beta 100+ immunities acting as psuedo absorb: - by Ruvanal - 09-18-2003, 10:09 AM