Gems + Skulls + Jewels + Runes . . .
These are pretty much all worth hanging on to for some reason or another.

Gems are pretty handy for stuff like crafting, rerolling magic items, upgrading uniques/rares (in 1.1) and so on. For the most part these all use perfect gems, so usually you should try and get your gems upgraded as often as possible. The Arreat Summit has both crafting and cube recipes documented reasonably well, so check them out.

Jewels are used in crafting recipes as well, though those will accept any magical jewel. For that reason alone it's worth holding on to a number of "junk jewels" if you decide to take up crafting.
Some jewels, such as those with enhanced damage and IAS, or resist all, may also be worth keeping for use in socketed items, but they aren't very common.

Runes are used for crafting, runewords (and upgrading items in 1.1). Again, depending on which crafting recipes you want to use, you should keep some of the required runes in your stash. I don't pick up runes below Tal unless I need them for recipes or runewords. Once you're in about Act 5 Normal, stuff in the Eth-Shael range drops fairly regularly, and those are the runes that are "consumed" in recipes the most. Some of them, like Amn and Shael, also are put into socketed items (weapons, mostly).
The runes from Dol on are fairly rare, and I'd keep them just because you don't know when you're going to see them again. :)

Bottom line: gems are almost always useful as long as they're perfect, jewels are used for crafting but can also have good magic mods themselves, runes have a number of uses, but most don't do anything worthwhile by themselves.
I'd suggest browsing the AS some more, look at the crafting and cube recipes, the rune words. Like you said, it depends on what character(s) you have. Once you know what you can do that way, you'll know which of these miscellaneous items to keep and which to sell.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"

Messages In This Thread
Gems + Skulls + Jewels + Runes . . . - by MMAgCh - 08-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Gems + Skulls + Jewels + Runes . . . - by Bob - 08-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Gems + Skulls + Jewels + Runes . . . - by eppie - 08-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Gems + Skulls + Jewels + Runes . . . - by adeyke - 08-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Gems + Skulls + Jewels + Runes . . . - by Cougar - 08-19-2003, 05:18 AM
Gems + Skulls + Jewels + Runes . . . - by adeyke - 08-19-2003, 01:22 PM