Rarest Item in Diablo
My metric for determining the rarity was inconsistent. Also, I did not consider Wirt for whatever reason on some items. I think my brain was working too many ways at once. I may retract the whole post on my site and do a proper analysis. One mistake I made, of many, was not taking into consideration that each game seed can be used for normal, nightmare, and hell. Therefore, Drag/zod amulet actually has over 7,000,000 unique iterations. A person does not play three difficulties at once though!

Emerald Slaying bastard sword is possible at wirt with any stats, but not the great sword. Some of the emerald Shields of the wolf are also. I'm going to focus on dungeon only items and run some figures using 2^32 / norm rarity + 2^32 / night rarity + 2^32 / hell rarity for any single base item and affix combo that cannot be shopped. Items that cannot be found in shops and only on 1 difficulty should be "rarer". I might compare some of the affix combos taking into consideration how many base items they exist on.

Rarity can be defined two different ways. How much time relative to another item it would take to obtain and how many exist in all game seeds combined relative to one another. Time factor for players is clearly important, but the total number of iterations is interesting to me as well.

An interesting situation would arise if one item has a 1 in 6000 games chance of dropping in hell only and another has a 1 in 18,000 chance of dropping in each difficulty. They both have the same amount of unique iterations, but the latter is clearly more difficult to obtain.

Messages In This Thread
Rarest Item in Diablo - by GhastMaster - 07-11-2020, 07:26 PM
RE: Rarest Item in Diablo - by FireIceTalon - 07-13-2020, 02:16 AM
RE: Rarest Item in Diablo - by GhastMaster - 07-13-2020, 05:27 AM
RE: Rarest Item in Diablo - by GhastMaster - 02-07-2021, 10:35 PM