You're Not Going to Believe
(12-22-2018, 05:06 PM)Jester Wrote: It's really, really hard taking honest stock of your beliefs, especially when they are under question. Double especially when that undermines a larger network of related beliefs. Triple especially when that undermines a larger network of sources, friends, allies, mentors, and so on who taught you those beliefs and whom you rely on to continue to provide you with a safe, reassuring, consistent world view so that you don't think you're crazy.

But that's what we have to do if we want to be thinking people.

On a related note, thanks for running this place all these years, Bolty. It's been very important to my version of the above process. And I really do still miss Pete.

-Jester
A few thoughts on this;

I live in a house because it is comfortable, yet realize it is not a natural thing. It is not a perfect structure. It requires maintenance to prevent it from falling to pieces. Eventually, it will be destroyed by nature or people.

In the same way, I live within the social construct of Christianity. These social constructions are shelters that protect us from bad times. It also is not a perfect structure. I’ve heard all Team’s arguments against, and all younger Shogu’s former defenses(apologetics). The truth is something with which we all wrestle, since there is little definite proof justifying many beliefs. You might believe what you witness firsthand (physic), or things provable. But, I find the vast portion of reality may be physical and not observable, or extends to metaphysical.

Also, it is not that I cynically pass to get along. I went from childhood blind faith, to reject it for a decade, to rediscovery while studying deeper philosophy. My beliefs are now reconciled with my understanding of science. So, I choose the comfort of living in the social construct that is the Christian community.

That’s my choice, and I respect your choices. Tolerance for diversity of thoughts are becoming the rarity on the internet. I miss Pete too.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
You're Not Going to Believe - by Bolty - 12-20-2018, 06:40 PM
RE: You're Not Going to Believe - by Taem - 12-22-2018, 04:25 AM
RE: You're Not Going to Believe - by Jester - 12-22-2018, 05:06 PM
RE: You're Not Going to Believe - by kandrathe - 01-19-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: You're Not Going to Believe - by Chadvoluted - 12-24-2018, 05:27 PM
RE: You're Not Going to Believe - by eppie - 01-16-2019, 08:47 PM
RE: You're Not Going to Believe - by Chadvoluted - 01-16-2019, 02:25 PM
RE: You're Not Going to Believe - by Chadvoluted - 01-16-2019, 09:24 PM